• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DIY Ford Mustang EFI wiring harness conversion- GETTING UGLY

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
well not exactly

So you are saying one would be best off using a pin guide and a tester to identify plugs and eliminate useless ones and identify needed plugs for sensors and the condition of said plugs? Sounds too easy I don't trust you or your witch craft.

Since no one has posted one here there are pinout diagrams that not only show the plug, the wire color and the device served, its all on one sheet of paper. You do not have to look a a plug, get a pin number then find the wire.

I would post some of mine but I find I can no longer post pictures and can find where to go to make that happen again, and quite frankly it pisses me off that it happens so often and I can never just go right to the right place to fix it.

Some of us old farts dont live on the interweb.

OP
OP
broncosbybart

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
So here are a few pics of it all. First, here are some pics of the grey rectangular plug that lived near the computer plug. You can see the VSS wires I cut. I then cut the wires and connected them (they were connected together in the plug) for the check engine light. Last was the fuel pump wire.

There is one wire left on it that baffles me. The wire in question is grey/yellow (according to the wife) and is pretty fat. It has a fusable link in it and goes to the HEGO plug. The wire color is different after the fusable link, as it heads toward the HEGO plug. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 31.JPG
    31.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 32.JPG
    32.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 48

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
There is one wire left on it that baffles me. The wire in question is grey/yellow (according to the wife) and is pretty fat. It has a fusable link in it and goes to the HEGO plug. The wire color is different after the fusable link, as it heads toward the HEGO plug. Any ideas?

Power to 02 sensors. You need to make a relay circuit for them.

OP
OP
broncosbybart

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Here is a picture of the in-line 22k ohm resistor in the #4 wiring. Next up is a picture of the ECT sensor plug and the CanP plug. The ECT is on the left. These are on the right side of the engine harness. Near that is the plug for the IAB solenoid. Mine has some big fat thing taped up right before it. I might see what that is, but I don't care that much honestly.

Also shown is the orange wire with the metal loop end for the HEGO ground circuit. This will be attached to the engine later on. It is fine as is.

Attachments

• 36.JPG
    36.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
broncosbybart

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Here you can see the ACT plug, the EVP plug, and the TPS plug. These are all found in the engine harness loom.

I will need to move the ACT plug, as the sensor won't be mounted directly on the intake. If I recall, it doesn't matter how you wire the ACT to the system with the 2 wires. Can anyone verify that? The Explorer ACT uses a different plug that I'll have to wire in.

Attachments

• 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 29.JPG
    29.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
broncosbybart

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Next thing that baffles me is the plugs shown. I don't think they do anything, but does anyone know? These are all hooked together.

The white plugs are found in the engine compartment. The grey plug is in the 'in cab' area.

Attachments

• 33.JPG
    33.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 34.JPG
    34.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
broncosbybart

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Here is a beautiful rendering of the two plugs near the STI. I have figured out what they do but am lost beyond that on the parts below:

The ones that go to the HEGO plug, the sig return, and to the IDM pin- are they used?

Attachments

• Plugs0001.jpg
    Plugs0001.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 84

Sporto

Who's good at VISIO and can make custom parts & shapes ??

Good point. I have a pretty good start on a Visio diagram that I researched for the SD setup (86 Mustang 5.0). I have most of the wiring drawn and connected, but my connector diagrams are not as good as others. I am doing this as a means to help Ransil convert his chicken scratch to a useful document for all of us. Actually in my research I learned a lot about the wiring harness, all I need to do is actually install it.

The other diagram that is posted a few posts up for the 88 and newer is a great piece of gear for researching, but the idea is to get a working Visio diagram with layers so you can focus on certain areas of the harness by filtering out the other layers.

I would be happy to send over what I have for creating connectors etc... to anyone who is interested. I have to finish creating the other layers and wires. Once that is done we should be good to go.

:cool:
Rich

ransil

Bronco Guru
Next thing that baffles me is the plugs shown. I don't think they do anything, but does anyone know? These are all hooked together.

The white plugs are found in the engine compartment. The grey plug is in the 'in cab' area.

the 2 pin white connectors pass thru the harness they should fall away when unwrapped, they are not used. this is pic 1 I cant tell what 2 is

ransil

Bronco Guru
Here is a beautiful rendering of the two plugs near the STI. I have figured out what they do but am lost beyond that on the parts below:

The ones that go to the HEGO plug, the sig return, and to the IDM pin- are they used?

find my post before your 20+questions started I put a link in ther to the NSS pin 30 thread, this is what this is dealing with, read and understand it.

then remove anthing dealing wth the auto/manual O2 harness making it a generic O2 harness then install a 3 pin weather pack one labled automatic and one labeled manual then you switch these to select the type of computer you are using.

also in the O2 connector is a low oil pressure wire, remove it on both harnesses its not needed.

ransil

Bronco Guru
So here are a few pics of it all. First, here are some pics of the grey rectangular plug that lived near the computer plug. You can see the VSS wires I cut. I then cut the wires and connected them (they were connected together in the plug) for the check engine light. Last was the fuel pump wire.

green plug post 42

you will remove this connector after identifying the wires..the left over wires will got to places or to a supplied weather pack, it will not have a pin count like the green connector.

that was a crappy answer but I'm in the lazy boy watching football, but once you Identify the wires it will make sense what to do with them.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Finally we are at the end.

Here we have a:

- black wire with a fusible link in it and a looped end. That is our 12V to the battery. Black is positive, remember?? I will eliminate this fusible link in the future with a fuse.

- a black round 2 pin connector- not sure what it was connected to other than a ground and the A/C solenoid.

- a rectangular black 2 pin connnector- that is for the coil.

- a cluster of wires that terminate into 1 connector and has 2 looped ends. This is a ground.

eliminate the ground connector start collecting your grounds there will be more, they will go to a common point, if your too cheap for the ground terminal block I posted earlier weld a stud to the body on the fire wall.

coil wire just figure out where you coil is going to be mounted and hope it makes it there, I always put them on the drivers fender front above the power steering

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
eliminate the ground connector start collecting your grounds there will be more, they will go to a common point, if your too cheap for the ground terminal block I posted earlier weld a stud to the body on the fire wall.

coil wire just figure out where you coil is going to be mounted and hope it makes it there, I always put them on the drivers fender front above the power steering

I was once told (not sure of how accurate the info is) to keep two different ground points. The explanation was that it reduced signal noise to the ECM. It may not matter, but I run them anyway. After all one would think ford added all that extra wire for a reason, but the later remote style TFI systems have fewer grounds.....?????? $#%@

ransil

Bronco Guru
You will have to bear with me- I am half colorblind so wiring isn't my forte. I can't tell you how many stereos speaker systems that I've wired wrong. Why do they need to use blue and purple for speaker wire colors??? The grey and green mess with me too.

Anyway, the first 'batch' of connectors resides in the cab of the car. Here we find:

- the big computer plug

-a ground (the one with the metal loop on the end)
-a grey round conector with 6 pins
-a rectangular plug with 5 pins used in it. This one is going to be cut off the harness down the road.
-a relay which is the EEC relay, if I am reading the diagram right.

I started on this about 10pm last night and haven't gotten very far yet...

route the grounds back to your common ground
replace the EEC reply with a common Bosch type relay, make a gang of relays you are adding to the harness to keep them together.

I have kept them in the past, but now I just replace them its more work but cleaner and does not require a special relay. I still carry spares so if you on the trail with me I will have them.

it still takes me a good 10 -15 hours to install one completely.

ransil

Bronco Guru
The next group of wires stems from about the same area. It is pictured here.
There is a:

-black and red 2 pin connector- Air Magangement Solenoid 1

-black and red 2 pin connector- Air Magangement Solenoid 2 (both look very similar)

-black 2 pin connector- EVR solenoid

-black 2 pin connector with 3 wires feeding it a few inches up the harness- for the AC system.

I think that all of these connectors can be done away with. I'll have to research how and if any need to have the resistors on them to prevent codes.

post 26

remove the AC stuff also there will be a WOT wire back to the EEC computer remove it, should be a wot relay and 2 plugs in there somewhere for the AC ( compressor plug7 pressure switch plug)

tab&tab remove back at to EEC

2 pin EVR I don't know what that is at the moment..double check that

ransil

Bronco Guru

post 42

grey/yellow is the HEGO heater power remove the fuse link install a fused relay

fuel pump wire connect to the pump side of the inertia switch, if not using on then the output of the fuel pump relay which you will be adding fused of course.

check engine light wire (optional) if you plan to use this this provides a ground to enable the light or LED which means the other side of the light or LED will be connected to switched power.

VSS I route thru the engine compartment to the drivers side and install a 2 pin weather pack this is optional, if you don't use pull from the EEC.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Have fun, like I've said - lay it out over the motor and start plugging stuff in, research what you can't figure out instead of triyng to get everything figured out on a bare harness.