• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Doghows's explorer swap and 4R70W and PS ITS A WRAP

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Ok here are the update pictures I said I would post. Got all my brackets powder coated today and installed them for the last time I think. Here is where I am now.
96aef7a521f60b4e3dac6cf4a9c92fce.jpg

Coil pack bracket shortened and powdered and installed!
2f1af27880bddda897dcca14782474ae.jpg

Throttle cable bracket powder coated and installed. I used the stock explorer cable!
978f4c01336405fcc633faeeaa3e30fb.jpg

Air tube bracket powdered and installed. Time to measure for air filter!
899cbafe63f109cc56632f02f4f81fe7.jpg

And this is where she is now. Next up cooling system and transmission lines.
Crap I think I lost my alternator pig tail? Hmmmm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I see you eliminated the 90° elbow.

Did you just bolt the Explorer throttle body to the upper intake manifold?

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Yes when I ordered my harness from Garry he called me and we went over the whole deal of what I wanted to use what I didn't. He made recommendations on what is best to use and what he could eliminate safely.
I have no EGR, no rear O2 sensors, we took into account tire size gear ratio to program the shift points in the trans.
Gary is awesome and very helpful. I've dropped him a couple emails and he got back to me quick with the answer i needed.
I'm ready to start it for the first time but I want to do my trans lines so I don't spit fluid all over the floor. Maybe I'll lop them together just to see if she fires up? If I do the video will be running.
Thanks to everyone who's done this before to make mine so much easier.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I don't know if I've ever seen an elbow on any of the Explorer V8 conversions in EBs.

Todd Z.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Things looks really good. I see the MAF looks like it is bolted to the fender well. It should be secure from vibration. If the MAF vibrates the wire can break. The factory rubber sleeves and elbows isolate it really well. Just a thought.

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
UPDATE: She lives!!

Let me preface this by saying yes I did cycle the key several times till fuel Preasure was up, yes I did pull the coil pack wires and cranked it over till I saw oil pressure build. Then I cranked it with remote starte and she popped once. I check everything real quick and started my crappy phone video. So here it is on its first run on its own.
The loud clicking was I forgot to tighten down the PS pump and pulley and she was flopping around and almost through the belt but I shut her down quick enough.
Second run still getting a ticking but I'm hoping it's the plate between the engine and trans but I'll finish the rest of the systems before I run her any more. But it starts first hit and runs so that's a start!!
Well apparently I'm better at working on Broncos than posting videos. I'll give it another try in a bit but it does run!!

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Thanks the good news is she's a LOT quieter now. I found that my inspection cover on the trans was installed wrong. I tucked it in behind the motor plate and it was hitting on the torque converter bolts. So corrected that and she sounds sweet now.
Now for the cooling system, trans shifter, and steering column. Might have her on the road in the next week or so. I'm excited to drive again!! ;D

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
If you plan it right it's easy. Mine is at three weeks right now and that only working on weekends.
Edgewood, I'm over in Sequim so if you get stuck yell I'll pop over!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
My 68 has it Todd... My build is on Norcal Bronco's, probably why you have not seen it. ;D

I had but forgotten the configuration. Your swap is an inspiration to us all!

Todd Z.

jbawall

Contributor
Loc.
Edgewood, Washington
If you plan it right it's easy. Mine is at three weeks right now and that only working on weekends.
Edgewood, I'm over in Sequim so if you get stuck yell I'll pop over!

I may hold you to that!! Are you going to be at the Bronco roundup in Florence? I would love to look over your install and take some pictures.

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I'm going to try. Lot depend on my conversion and if I can close my shop for a day or two. I haven't been out there in about ten years back when it was SOB.