• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical Gurus; how do I add a keyed aux fues box? Thank you!

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

Happy New Year!

My questions are for the electrical gurus.

I want to run a aux fuse box which is turned on/off with the ignition key. I've got a few accessories I'd like to run but don't want to make a mess out of my wire harness. What's the best way to do this?

Currently I'm running the old style, 12 circuit painless harness part number #10108 manual #90521. When you google it, painless only shows this for their current 20 circuit kit.

The fuse box I want to use is the exact same one that comes with that kit.

The current items I have to add are below.
Front fogs.
LED light bar.
Rear wiper.
Aux heater.

The future items I want to add are below.
An aux battery.
A winch.
Electric locks, windows and FJ mirrors. (A doors project for sure.)
12v water pump.
Interior lights.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you!
:cool:

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would go to the back of the ignition switch, find the key on post. Then run a larger wire from it to your new fuse panel as it's main power source and be done.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I would go to the back of the ignition switch, find the key on post. Then run a larger wire from it to your new fuse panel as it's main power source and be done.

Depending on how much amp draw the accessories have you may be better off to use the wire from the key to trigger a relay and take power for the fuse box from the battery or solenoid.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
True, do a medium fused wire from battery to relay, then relay to fuse box.

Then run a small wire from key on post to the small post on solenoid, then run a ground from the other small solenoid post.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting. I still get the wheels in pcf_mark's link. But I do get that one in 904's link
Looks like a definite winner.

Thanks

Paul

pbwcr

Good comments all.
What I did was run a 10ga fused (20a) wire directly from the batt to a relay that is triggered from the Ign/Accessory hot source. The extra load is trivial since all it does it operate the relay. My theory was to leave the stock wires alone and use a fresh set of electrical components for my accessories. Now I have a new +12 fuse panel and a new Ign/Acc fuse panel. Mounted them behind the kick panel. One on each side. Choice of fuse panel is installers choice. No need inside for high price water proof ones. My choice was Bussman 6 slot fuse panel. So far I have not used up all the new fuse slots , especially since several accessories I wanted to see +12, Like CB, GPS, Dome light, - and so on. My winch power/control is a stand alone circuit.
I left the stock glove box panel unaltered, however I relocated it for better access.
PaulW

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Interesting. I still get the wheels in pcf_mark's link. But I do get that one in 904's link
Looks like a definite winner.

Thanks

Paul

Wow that is weird! I used the Painless sub panel is you pic.