• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fiberglass vs Steel tubs, Pros? Cons?

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now we have a choice but what are the Pros - Cons for safety?
looks?
Does a fiberglass tub "devalue?"
reamer

tpatton75

Contributor
It depends on what you intend to use it for. I wanted something to drive in the rust belt but it probably would be worth more if it was steel

Attachments

• 3FB1DAEA-E3AD-4D53-8003-3540FF9B912B.jpg
    3FB1DAEA-E3AD-4D53-8003-3540FF9B912B.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 72

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
it doesnt matter for safety unless you have a compromised rusty steel tub. there very little safety built into a bronco You have to build in added safety measures if you want a Safer Bronco. The only reasonably safe part on a Bronco is its stiff frame if un-compromised by rust. Just gotta figure its intended use and time frame when it was built. Broncos rust badly in all the wrong places and compromise its strength after 50 years.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Steel is just easy welding to repair. Glass won't rust but cracks, There is a steel frame under the glass.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Glass body Pros:
Won't rust
Won't rust
Won't rust
I guess that's the only one I can think of.
Wait just got another, the cost is less than the steel body.

Cons
Devaluation? absolutely
Total custom build meaning you as the builder have to figure out many hole locations and mounting solutions for just about everything. Fitment of parts takes much more time. You almost always find stuff you should have trimmed, sanded or changed prior to paint but you already painted it.

Steel body Pros
Steel body holds value (until it rust)
Mounting locations are laid out for most things already.
Are you welding it together yourself? WH can ship it usually within a day or two.

Cons
Gona cost you for body and paint much more than most people expect.
It will eventually rust.

Good luck with the project let us know if we can help.

Jim

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Ron...I went glass for year round use here in New England, but, I built for me, no one else so resale is of no importance..know of a glass body for sale if tempted o the dark side!

Attachments

• p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 52
  • b8.jpg
    b8.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 61

uncletom

Loc.
Mass City
I put a fiberglass body on my Bronco 36 years ago. I checked out the current era 'glass bodys at the super celebration a couple years ago. They are much better quality than what I have. 99% of the people that look at mine have no idea it is 'glass. If you just want a Bronco to use fiberglass is the way to go.

centex77

Did a Bronco Designs tub on mine. Turned out great and was easy to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
If I wanted to drive one around all year round either where road salt or salt spray on the coast was an issue, I would do a fiberglass body. My .02

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Mine is glass and if I were to do it again I would go steel. I will never drive it in the winter or salt so that part is not an issue with me.

Attachments

• 6.24.20 6.jpg
    6.24.20 6.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 40

Bronco4x4

One Con for fiberglass not mentioned is >> Less safe in a lightning storm. A steel body will redirect the electric current around you. Most think a vehicle tires protect you but it’s actually the steel body. So safest config. is steel body with ste pop el hard top for lightning.

Another con for fiberglass is the front grill and hood vent grills. Fiberglass ones have to be thicker and don’t look the same. Most people use a steel grill to look more stock.

Bronco4x4

Above should say >> Steel body with steel hard top is safest for lightning.

I guess vehicle crashes in glass are less safe as well.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
HMMM, I didn't know that.....if that's the case...steel or glass? so which is which then?

Attachments

• m.jpg
    m.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 48
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 45
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 43
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 44

Bronco4x4

Not going into a back-and-forth with you. Using a phone and can’t see the grill spacing. I do know of a few glass EB’s with steel grilles for the points I mentioned.

OP
OP
reamer

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone put a steel body together with just panel adhesive? would that last?

Bronco4x4

Panel adhesive is stronger than the steel. You would have to use screws to align panels correctly. I’m also curious if anyone has done allot of panels on an EB that way. I was going to panel adhesive my lower quarters on my current build (will be a driver except for heavy road salt). I decided to bolt the lower quarters in place with S.S. bolts so they can be swapped out in the event of damage. So far so good.

71 CA Bronco

I'll try. I'm thinking #2 steel the others are glass. All are very nice looking Broncos thought. ;D

I'll bet the panel adhesive seams would be nice for corrosion protection. I did a couple of my panels with adhesive and left the areas around the plug welds bare. A couple of welds burned into the adhesive though. It still turned out tight with minimal gap for water intrusion. I haven't made my new top yet. Curious if that technique would help to prevent the rust seeping into the seams.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The panel adhesive will pull weld through primer off the part. I’d use it on bare metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I should say a panel adhesive joint vs. a weld joint is stronger.

if the joint was designed for panel adhesive. Bronco overlaps are very small and to use adhesive the preparation needs to be perfect its not just squeeze and stick.