• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fiberglass vs Steel tubs, Pros? Cons?

MrT

Mustangrehab on youtube used glue on his rear quarters. I think they turned out great.

Nothing Special

I put a 'glass body on the CJ5 i used to have. I loved it not only for not rusting (I did daily-drive it through a few Minnesota winters until I got old enough to decide that it wasn't fun enough to drive to outweigh how unpleasant it was), but also for shrugging off dents. One time a 4 foot long 4" diameter branch dropped about 12' from a tree and hit the hood at about a 45 degree angle. Didn't leave a mark on the hood. I'm sure a steel hood would've had a pretty good dent from that.

There were other minor bumps and bruises that really didn't affect the 'glass. And I didn't have to worry about scrapes through the paint leading to rust.

I'm sure a bad hit would cause more damage that would be harder to repair in 'glass. But it sure held up well for me.