• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Final color choice and I'm stuck between 2!

malonejy

Bronco Guru
I can't wait til she's all said and done Kenny. You have a crazy amount of attention to detail ;D

James

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
@Broncoitis- I have no idea how that is happening? Didn't even notice it until you just pointed it out.

Thanks James. Started second guessing myself about my choice but am powering forward with it for now (until they can't get it right for the 4th or 5th time).

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Long story short...they sprayed the underside and when I showed up the next day it didn't look right. We compared the factory paint chip and it was off by a few shades. They mixed the paint exactly as the computer showed (no alternates to any of the ingredients were listed) and it wasn't right. They ordered a pint premixed from another company and the spray out was even worse! The last week has been spent talking to other paint manufacturers to get the right color. Has me a little worried...

You do know the paint chips in many of the color books aren't the true color? Sometimes even the variant chips are off too. Are you trying to match the color they are spraying to the book chip? If so that is why you are having a hard time to come up with a match.
What color code did you pick?
What paint line are they making it in?
I can't imagine why they are having so much trouble getting the color???? Are they making a sprayout card or are they trying to match from the can?

Here's my Bronco Honda YR529M

Attachments

• Repaint Bronco 003.jpg
    Repaint Bronco 003.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Bronco Cage 006.jpg
    Bronco Cage 006.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Allen, the first color looked 3 or 4 shades darker than the original color. It was an obvious flaw. Even compared to the pictures I had on my computer it was different. Everyone agreed something was wrong. The second paint company mixed a pint and sent it over to do a "spray out" on a card. It was even worse than the first. They are going to try one more paint company and then talked about using the "spectrometer" on the factory paint card. The last option worries me because I want to be able to match it in case I need touch up or something bad happens. I would much rather someone be able to match it to the factory specs.

T.Myers

kholding, Hello - I am new to the forum and just starting looking through it since I recently just purchsed a completely stock 1971 Bronco a few weeks ago.
Looking at your pictures, I really like the family roll cage you have on your Bronco - can you let me know where I can get a cage like that?

Regarding paint - I like the Silver, just went to the ford dealership yesterday to look to get the name of the Silver paint they have on the new model fords.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks T.Myers. Welcome to the addiction and a great place to find the answers to all of your Bronco questions! The roll cage is built by West Coast Broncos in Yucca Valley, CA. They can build the basic cage and then add just about anything you could think of. I like the Ford silver, too (my F150 is the Ingot Silver metallic).

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Allen, the first color looked 3 or 4 shades darker than the original color. It was an obvious flaw. Even compared to the pictures I had on my computer it was different. Everyone agreed something was wrong. The second paint company mixed a pint and sent it over to do a "spray out" on a card. It was even worse than the first. They are going to try one more paint company and then talked about using the "spectrometer" on the factory paint card. The last option worries me because I want to be able to match it in case I need touch up or something bad happens. I would much rather someone be able to match it to the factory specs.

Who is painting your Bronco? They should know you NEVER try to match a color chip. All color formulas are made to match the vehicle not the color books/chips/variants. Have you looked at an actual car that color with a sprayout card? That is what the formulas are all made to match, the car. If you mix my color YR579M for example in Dupont, PPG, Sherwin Williams, Sikkens, or any other paint manufacturer it will likely be a blendable match. From what I understand the car companies sends each paint manufacturer actual color samples and the paint companies make that color and that is the standard. Then there are variants made from other manufacturing variables such as different plants or paint suppliers.

Don't stress about the paint not matching for future repairs. Ask them to give you the paint manufactures formula number along with the paint code. Any future reapirs will likely need blended anyways even with the same paint out of the same can. My advise is to use the paint formula that they already sprayed on the underside and get the formula number.
That spectrometer will get you somewhat close, it will give them a blendable match at best. The only time I use them is when a car is repainted a different color and I need to repair it. I still have to tint each and every one of them.

T.Myers

Thanks T.Myers. Welcome to the addiction and a great place to find the answers to all of your Bronco questions! The roll cage is built by West Coast Broncos in Yucca Valley, CA. They can build the basic cage and then add just about anything you could think of. I like the Ford silver, too (my F150 is the Ingot Silver metallic).

Thanks for the info on the cage - and you are correct loads of great information on here and everyone seems to be very helpful, I will definitely be needing the help too when I start upgrading.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
So I got some schooling on car paints today. Went back to the body shop to look at the 3rd spray-out card (different paint company again). It was wrong. The owner told me the next step was to take the factory paint chip to the paint shop and use the spectrometer. I volunteered to do it since I want this resolved. I showed the paint shop the original color and the 2 spray-outs that the body shop had given me. The first question they asked was what paint companies they had used. One was written on the back (pro-spray I think?) and I can't remember the other. They said that they weren't totally surprised that they didn't match up. These paint companies were "lower quality" or "cheaper" paints. They found it odd that when the first colors didn't match up that they didn't choose to go with a european based paint company "SpiesHecker". After all, this was a color originally painted on a BMW. The paint store told me this was a more expensive paint but would most likely match right up. I got a 1/2 pint mixed with the same code as the others, brought it back to the body shop and had them do another spray-out...It was a perfect match.

Not too happy that the body shop was trying to take the cheap way out of my job. The pictures are of the original color (left) and the 2 spray-outs that they gave me. You can see the difference.

Oh yeah, decided to go with the BMW Valencia Orange Metallic...

Attachments

• IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 65

SP66

Bronco Guru
So I got some schooling on car paints today. Went back to the body shop to look at the 3rd spray-out card (different paint company again). It was wrong. The owner told me the next step was to take the factory paint chip to the paint shop and use the spectrometer. I volunteered to do it since I want this resolved. I showed the paint shop the original color and the 2 spray-outs that the body shop had given me. The first question they asked was what paint companies they had used. One was written on the back (pro-spray I think?) and I can't remember the other. They said that they weren't totally surprised that they didn't match up. These paint companies were "lower quality" or "cheaper" paints. They found it odd that when the first colors didn't match up that they didn't choose to go with a european based paint company "SpiesHecker". After all, this was a color originally painted on a BMW. The paint store told me this was a more expensive paint but would most likely match right up. I got a 1/2 pint mixed with the same code as the others, brought it back to the body shop and had them do another spray-out...It was a perfect match.

Not too happy that the body shop was trying to take the cheap way out of my job. The pictures are of the original color (left) and the 2 spray-outs that they gave me. You can see the difference.

Bold choice, congrats, I like it.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
That color looks great, it's very similar to mine.

I use Spies at work and I think it's one of the best paint lines out there. They will probably cheap out on you and use a junk clear like Transtar. Make sure they use Spies clear. 8180 is good clear but 8035 is best. It will outlast and out shine the junk clears but is probably at least twice as much. Spies might cost more but they will need less base coat since it has better coverage than many other paint lines.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Great info Allen. Thanks! I really like how yours turned out. That color is awesome. Definitely had some influence on my decision.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru

Boy, that middle color strip looks alot like the color I went with! Gonna look great. I think that it is a really Cool color on the early Bronco. Can't wait to see it painted up.

By the way, SpiesHecker is Awesome Paint. Will cost more but it will look better longer as well.

Attachments

• Bronco Build Pics 2012 006.jpg
    Bronco Build Pics 2012 006.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 66