• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heater Control Valve - Any reason to buy one over another? Tom's is cheaper than what

Kim

Loc.
Long Island
I see at Wild Horses.

I'm willing to pay more if it is in fact a better quality part.

Thanks.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If it was my Bronco and my money I would use the Wild Horses valve.

I admit this is just from looking at the pictures, but the WH valve looks better constructed.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've had better luck with the plastic one like Toms sells.
But why aren't you just going to a good local auto parts store? Mine cost less than either of those and there was no shipping. I got it at CARQUEST. That same part was used on most old Fords.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Some of the members here and on other forums have reported the cheaper plastic valves blowing apart while they were driving down the highway, and quickly pumping out their coolant.

Higher quality even if it is for a few dollars more gives me peace of mind.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I got mine from JBG,Haven't really used it yet as I'm still building my rig but it fit nice and seemed to be a decent quality,of course only time will tell,good luck :cool:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I bought my plastic one from Napa about 6 years ago or so. No issues with it. It works much easier than the old metal valves.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I got mine from Napa as well its the same one being sold by the vendors and if your placing a order with one of them then yes I would say support one of the vendors but if your in need of one and you have a Napa near by I would go pick one up there. Here's a link with the part number. http://m.napaonline.com/parts/PartsDetail.aspx?k=TEM935032_0379076778
They do have one that is more expensive but its no better than this one so save the money for something else. As for metal or plastic/fiber I would not run a metal one unless you are going for a restoration they will seize up after awhile the plastic/fiber ones are just cheap insurance.

John

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I got mine from Napa as well its the same one being sold by the vendors and if your placing a order with one of them then yes I would say support one of the vendors but if your in need of one and you have a Napa near by I would go pick one up there. Here's a link with the part number. http://m.napaonline.com/parts/PartsDetail.aspx?k=TEM935032_0379076778
They do have one that is more expensive but its no better than this one so save the money for something else. As for metal or plastic/fiber I would not run a metal one unless you are going for a restoration they will seize up after awhile the plastic/fiber ones are just cheap insurance.

John

^^^^^^^^Agreed........mine has been issue free for the last 3 years since it was installed.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I wonder if the failed plastic ones were being used with aluminum radiators. Some of those have higher pressure cap recommendations.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I wonder if the failed plastic ones were being used with aluminum radiators. Some of those have higher pressure cap recommendations.

I had thought that they were simply a lower quality copy of a good part.

I wasn't arguing for metal, but against using price to decide instead of quality.

I've seen plastic that you could lay on an anvil and hit it with a BFH without leaving a mark.