• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heater hose....different ways

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Here are some pics, I guess I need to leave the heater hose going over my engine since the heater pull wire has to be able to open the valve since the hole is in the middle. Can it be moved or does it need to stay there

I moved mine some, closer to passenger side and down, to clear the ECU mount...

Attachments

• DSCN3834.jpg
    DSCN3834.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 198

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
So much depends on your setup and accessories. For mine, the valve covers are much larger which negated the use to the full Explorer tubes. I ended up cutting off most of the length and used only the end with fittings towards the front.

I used some 90 degree hose at the firewall from the auto parts store (you have to ask them to go look at all their hose to find them.)

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1062.jpg
    IMG_1062.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1451.jpg
    IMG_1451.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1480.jpg
    IMG_1480.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
I love this site. Every time a random thought pops into my head like, gee, I should do something about these hoses just laying all over everything, a day or two later and here you go.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What size hose is the heater hose

If you meant diameter, then I think ours are 5/8 inch type. Many GM vehicles used both sizes on the same application, but ours are only the one size.
But just like the length and routing issues brought up by airbur, the diameter needs can change due to what you're installing as well.

Sounds like yours is leaning towards the stock-ish (didn't go back over the discussion), so the heater core tubes are always the same of course, as are the typical Bronco style water pump and intake manifold ends.
If any of that stuff has been changed however, you'll have to verify what you have.

But those two sizes, 3/4 and 5/8 are the most common if I remember. And again, I think ours are the 5/8" size. Been so long though you can't trust me to hold the flashlight! Best wait for others to verify.

Paul

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Airbur I like the look of how you run. Your heater hose. Could I us an AN type fitting to come off the intake and the second hose and also for a couple of other 90 degree angles? I want to try and use some braided stainless tubes to dress it up and run them straight over the intake together.

Paul my hoses for the heater are fine and are probably 5/8 I just wanted to clean things up in all areas of the engine as I mentioned in some other post.
Am I assuming correctly that I will still need to clamp onto the posts coming directly out of the heater/bulk head

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Airbur I like the look of how you run. Your heater hose. Could I us an AN type fitting to come off the intake and the second hose and also for a couple of other 90 degree angles? I want to try and use some braided stainless tubes to dress it up and run them straight over the intake together.

Paul my hoses for the heater are fine and are probably 5/8 I just wanted to clean things up in all areas of the engine as I mentioned in some other post.
Am I assuming correctly that I will still need to clamp onto the posts coming directly out of the heater/bulk head

You'd need an adapter to go from the lower intake to an AN type connector. Also, that would be some thick AN hose (and big connectors) coupled with braided stainless.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
5/8" hose = -10AN, I've plumbed a couple drag car fuel systems in that size. Hose ends and hose are both spendy. And unless you're willing to do some strange converting at the heater core you're going to end up with hose clamps there anyway.

Consider instead using PuroSil hose with ABA hose clamps. So long as you're not regularly removing and replacing those hoses they're a life-time install.