• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holley Terminator X - who's running it? Using COP with it?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
So I need to step to a different SEFI setup and the Terminator X with COP (Coil On Plug) seems to fit my needs/wants. Can't run a distributor so the COP seems like the way to go.

Anybody?

Looking for wiring tips. Do's and Don't, shortcuts, what trigger's to use - cam or crank or both, etc.

Thanks and appreciate the input.

I'm probably going to end up using two of these Term X's on different builds but I need to learn on this one.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I have both already and hoping I can keep both and still go COP & like Garry always says #DITCHTHEDIZZY. ;)

36Fan

Contributor
Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD cam sync plug, LSX or MSD coil and harness

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD cam sync plug, LSX or MSD coil and harness
Thanks. Been looking at some of this.
I don't trust anything MSD makes, :( seen so dang many failures of any & every thing they make.

I currently run EDIS and I believe my reluctor on my crank is 36 tooth so I "should" be good there?

Wonder if I can use a 3 wire Ford cam sync plug instead of the MSD one? Have to do some checking unless ya know off hand?

Last edited:

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I ran a crank trigger and the MSD cam sync on one motor. The other one I ran a Holley dual sync dizzy. Both worked great. I would think the trigger wheel and ford cam sync may work.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I'm running Megasquirt with COP using the explorer crank trigger and my own cam sync, but the explorer one would work just fine. I just didn't have room for it, but used it for inspiration.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I'm running Megasquirt with COP using the explorer crank trigger and my own cam sync, but the explorer one would work just fine. I just didn't have room for it, but used it for inspiration.
Is your cam synch Hall effect or variable reluctance?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Hall effect. I used MSD Cam Sync Generator 2348. It's exactly the same as the MSD cam sync plug, but using my own housing.

MSD's is 3" tall above the deck and mine is 7/8" total and all I had room for and only had that much room by cutting part of my intake off and having it welded.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Cause I need VR.
Easy fix. Are you using my adapter sleeve? If so you can solve the problem by throwing money at it.

You need a different year Ford 3.8 V6 cam synchronizer, and likely a new gear (to be compatible with your cam). Ford used both VR and Hall on the V6, and it turns out I'm switching from Hall to VR on my new setup, per Garry's advice. He told me that the signal from the VR transducer is cleaner. I have the cam synch, the correct VR sensor and a Comp Cams melonized gear sitting on the shelf for when my engine comes back.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Well, let's FIX it. :) Yup, my adapter has the intials "LP" on it. lol

Only took me a couple hours to redrill the off-center hole with one of 2 different sized Ford gears and swap gears between the different ones I had on my bench. Hard to believe but the holes are commonly drilled off-center for the roll pin.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
Brian, I’m sure glad that you’re getting this all figured out. It’ll make it so much easier for me when I swap to Term X too hahahaha.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Brian, I’m sure glad that you’re getting this all figured out. It’ll make it so much easier for me when I swap to Term X too hahahaha.
That's why I'm here :) as a product tester for not only to see if something works on our Broncos (like ProJection back in about '93) but also durability testing to see if anything can last for more than a year on my Bronco! :)

Already got a reply from Scott from 2 days ago- before I even saw this thread!

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Scott recommended the 550-937 after I asked for more clarification and explained AGAIN what I had and what I was currently running.

Here's this afternoon's reply from Scott at the EFI System Pro place in Florida
The 550-1316 is more geared toward someone that is using mostly factory
parts from a 98-01 or so Explorer where it sounds like you are going
much more aftermarket than that. For the direction you are going the
550-937 is a more plug and play setup and no wasted parts like coil
drivers that come with the 550-1316 for the wasted spark coil setup."

Glad I asked for more clarification from Scott. Holley sure has a LOT of different options for the Term X. I am going to call Holley Tech support and ask them also. For the money and for the specifics I want, I don't want some guy to recommend the wrong stuff and then I have to deal with it the next 20 yrs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Seem to have a couple similar threads going... lol

Last edited:

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Scott recommended the 550-937 after I asked for more clarification and explained AGAIN what I had and what I was currently running.

Here's this afternoon's reply from Scott at the EFI System Pro place in Florida
The 550-1316 is more geared toward someone that is using mostly factory
parts from a 98-01 or so Explorer where it sounds like you are going
much more aftermarket than that. For the direction you are going the
550-937 is a more plug and play setup and no wasted parts like coil
drivers that come with the 550-1316 for the wasted spark coil setup."

Glad I asked for more clarification from Scott. Holley sure has a LOT of different options for the Term X. I am going to call Holley Tech support and ask them also. For the money and for the specifics I want, I don't want some guy to recommend the wrong stuff and then I have to deal with it the next 20 yrs.
I'm confused by that info.

Are you running wasted spark? If so, you don't need the cam sync at all. I'm sure he's just saying you don't need those parts cause you aren't running WS but making sure.