• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HOw much lift on stock radius arm mounts?

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Like the title says, how much lift can you go on stock radius arm mounts? On the halfcab project I've got a high pinion Dana 44 I want to narrow and use 'someday, which will require a big lift for the driveline to clear the 4R70W pan.
I'm not sure I want a 4.5" lift, and in the short term would like to use the stock mounts and get the frame painted and get it back as a rolling chassis on the stock axles. But I don't want to paint the frame then later have to swap to taller radius arm brackets if I decide to use the narrowed HP axle.
Its a chicken or the egg quandry for me

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If your thinking about lifting anything taller the 3", I go with brackets or long arm kit. I prefers long arm kit then drop brackets if you cam swing it.

I used to run 5.5 lift but my bronco is mostly trail truck but Ive driven to gilmer a couple of times without issues. Now comparing my setup with 5 degree caster, bronco tracks way better then before.

Eugene

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Like the title says, how much lift can you go on stock radius arm mounts? On the halfcab project I've got a high pinion Dana 44 I want to narrow and use 'someday, which will require a big lift for the driveline to clear the 4R70W pan.
I'm not sure I want a 4.5" lift, and in the short term would like to use the stock mounts and get the frame painted and get it back as a rolling chassis on the stock axles. But I don't want to paint the frame then later have to swap to taller radius arm brackets if I decide to use the narrowed HP axle.
Its a chicken or the egg quandry for me

Go ahead and get the Duff long arms.......

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Long arms are nice, I think a lot depends on what your going to use it for. Mostly street or trail, half and half. I went with the Duffy adjustable drop brackets, I think they are a lot nicer look, than the drop brackets that you just weld to the old bracket, plus their adjustable. I have a 3.5 inch lift. I think 2.5 inch lift is about all the stock brackets like.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 42
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 38
  • drop brackets 001.jpg
    drop brackets 001.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 39

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
At the very minimum you can use these (http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Rubber_Degreed_Radius_Strut_Arm_Bushing) to at least minimize some of the stresses put on the bushings and mounts. It's not an ultimate solution for your taller lift dilemma, but it can get you by for awhile.

Ultimately, longer arms are the way to go, along with cutting and turning the steering yokes to maintain proper caster, pinion angle and a better coil spring cup angle.

You're basically asking for a lot with going taller than 3.5" with just leaving some things stock and keeping it to simple bolt-ons

Paul

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I used the long radius arm for my 5 1/2" lift with a stock low pinion housing

One issue that I discovered is very little clearance between the drivehsaft and header collector using long tube headers. It clears, but just barley. Knowing what I know now I think shorty headers and a slightly different exhaust routing would be better. When the suspension is at full compression the driveshaft touches the header. This will be worse using a HP housing...shorty headers are a must