• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much to pay??

rbtmatt

I am looking to buy my first Bronco. I found one that has been sitting for a long time and is in relatively great shape. What would be a good price to offer?

1977 - U15 - 302 V8 - It has been sitting since around 1998. It was not stored properly so the drivetrain will have to be rebuilt for sure. It's a California car and has no visible rust. Low miles (unknown) and pretty much original as far as I can tell. I will be looking at it more closely soon if I can convince the owner to sell it. I just need to know what a good price range would be to offer if I'm fortunate enough to get it.

Thanks for your opinions!

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
About a month ago, maybe a little more, a nice bodied dent/rust-free 73' model from Arizona (with drivetrain problems) was bought for $6,500. I was trying to buy it, but didn't move fast enough because it got sold within about 6 hours of it being list the first day.

OP
OP
R

rbtmatt

About a month ago, maybe a little more, a nice bodied dent/rust-free 73' model from Arizona (with drivetrain problems) was bought for $6,500. I was trying to buy it, but didn't move fast enough because it got sold within about 6 hours of it being list the first day.

Thanks! I was thinking somewhere between $5000-$7000. This truck is not listed anywhere so the owner just needs to decide if they want to sell.

Thanks

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA

I bought that Bronco. Upon closer inspection, it has more issues than I was expecting and hoping for.

Attachments

• 69 bronco.jpg
    69 bronco.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 69.jpg
    69.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 138

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
He said it was an Arizona rust free Bronco. Even doing just a cursory walk around, I have found three or four areas were there is either rust through or obvious amateur attempts at rust repair. Lift gate handle doesn't operate correctly, driver door doesn't unlock or open, brakes don't work, the crate engine that was installed is a later block without the threaded hole for the clutch linkage, so the entire linkage is just held in with just the one bolt to the bellhousing. All of these items are apparent just spending 20 minutes inspecting the vehicle yet none of them were disclosed in the for sale listing.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
That's probably 10K rig^^ according to the way they list around here .

patterdale

Bronco Guru
If it runs and drives 10k is not unreasonable. Start at your 5k and see where it goes.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Hard to tell ya w/out pics. These days, $5k/7k don't get you much

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Really nice looking Red one on Mecum auction yesterday (I think it was a repeat of an earlier auction though) only bid up to (and sold at) $18k
Looked from a distance for all the world to be just like the ones they keep selling for $30k, so not sure what was different.
Was it the Bronco or the audience, or a cooling off? Hard to tell of course.

And to the OP rbtmatt, the reason pics are so important to us is that the '77 you're looking at could literally range from $5000 to $35,000, depending on the condition of a lot of very little details.
Not the least of which, of course, is the paint and body. Ok, so neither of those is a "little" detail, but you'd be surprised at what limits or raises the value of a Bronco these days.

Let us know how it goes.
And welcome to CB too by the way!

Paul

OP
OP
R

rbtmatt

Really nice looking Red one on Mecum auction yesterday (I think it was a repeat of an earlier auction though) only bid up to (and sold at) $18k
Looked from a distance for all the world to be just like the ones they keep selling for $30k, so not sure what was different.
Was it the Bronco or the audience, or a cooling off? Hard to tell of course.

And to the OP rbtmatt, the reason pics are so important to us is that the '77 you're looking at could literally range from $5000 to $35,000, depending on the condition of a lot of very little details.
Not the least of which, of course, is the paint and body. Ok, so neither of those is a "little" detail, but you'd be surprised at what limits or raises the value of a Bronco these days.

Let us know how it goes.
And welcome to CB too by the way!

Paul

Thanks a lot! I don't know much about it myself except for what I posted. I will post more when I am able to look at it more closely.

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Arguably the 77' model year is one of the most desirable ones.

The main reasons include:
It was the last year they were made, and they had some features that other years didn't have -such as power steering & brakes, larger Dana 44 front end w/ disk brakes, big bearing ford 9" rear end, and obviously the distinguishing feature of flip-top gas tank covers.

The first and last year that any classic was made will always fetch a higher value on the open market.

Additionally, true original survivor classic's seem to hold their value and often times increase in value, as other classic auto market segments vary.

No doubt old Bronco's are cool, and kindly keep in mind the demand is high and supply is low, plus the newest ones are now nearly 40 years and we've seen these old farm & ranch work rigs enter the collector market in recent years.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks a lot! I don't know much about it myself except for what I posted. I will post more when I am able to look at it more closely.

If you have any friends nearby, grease monkeys, take em along with ya to look at it

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I think you did just fine (justino). Even room for a little profit. Always keeping in mind that not everyone knows vehicles like you do. To them is was good.
Being a fan of stockers I was very tempted when this came to market but I lacked space.
Well done.

I don't feel mislead, but he said in his listing he looked it over thoroughly for rust through and didn't find any. There is a quarter sized hole in the side of the hard top that is impossible to miss. Still a solid Bronco, and pretty much what you get buying sight unseen over 1,000 miles away.

67RT

Bronco Guru
I bought mine on ebay and did not inspect as I had paid to have 4 prior ones inspected and all were junk. Saw it was an original paint car so got the owner on Facetime and had him show me floor, underside, underhood, and he even drove down the road with it thru all three gears while holding his phone. I watched on my ipad and felt pretty good there was only surface rust. Car came exactly as I expected to my surprise.
It was hit or miss because I felt like I was paying market price. Car went thru ebay twice and hit 11k both times, but never completed for whatever reason. That made me nervous as I though there was some major undisclosed issue. Biggest issue was the frame VIN not matching the glovebox vin. Otherwise it has been a great truck and the Facetime inspection was a winner!