• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ideas for the space where the aux tank used to be . . . .?

backpain

Bronco Guru
Well, if I don't replace the aux tank (which I probably will pass on for a 20+ gal rear tank, instead), and I don't mount dual batteries in that space (because that puts another heavy "passengerr" right underneath me) . . . .what else can I do with it besides ignore it?

What have you used that space for?

Maybe a storage drawer accessible from inside. Think the Wild Child passenger drawer would fit with the mounting plate turned upside down, tacked in and sealed from underneath. - and then a cutout to access the drawer from under the seat. I haven't seen enough of the Wild Child design to know what may work.

Self-inflating raft with pull cord on the inside would be cool, but seriously, ideas?

Anyone running aux tank with heavy duty skid protection such that you can slide all over it?

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL
I consider ditching that tank and going to the 23 gal. tank as one of the better mods on my rig. It greatly simplified my fuel system with almost no loss in capacity and solved 3 other nagging problems--my under seat switching valve used to belch fuel when turning it. I wouldn't put anything in the space. Keeping the rig simple and light is better--IMO...although the raft idea is good...

In South Africa they have a firm that markets a propane fueled flame thrower that is used for countermeasures against carjackers. That might fit in there and what fun you could have with THAT.

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
just watch out putting in a big assed rear tank as 9 lbs per gallon adds up weight quickly and throws off balance accordingly.

OP
OP
B

backpain

Bronco Guru
beer keg .. with a side panel tap !!!

The funny thing is xtra taps and CO2 cylinder for beer . . . that's the stuff I actually do have.

Maybe a pancake compressor and quick connects on the rocker panel . . . .one air saw, one impact, one tire inflator - those will solve any trail fix, right ;D

broncomaster

Loc.
Edgewood,Wa
just watch out putting in a big assed rear tank as 9 lbs per gallon adds up weight quickly and throws off balance accordingly.

Gas is 6.1 lbs per gallon thats 140 lbs for my 23 gallon tank thats getting close to offsetting my 351 up front.

I was thinking about a tool box under that spot.

Hogback

It depends on what you use the Bronco for. If you do a lot of wheeling, an air tank would work nice there. I never liked having a tank of gasoline below me, so i've left that spot empty. One rock puncture and a few sparks and it's charbroil time.
It's not uncommon for me to cross creeks/water and it come up to the floor, so anything i put there will get wet. I wouldnt want a tool box there for that reason.
It would be a good spot to put some accessories that wouldnt get damaged by water and mud. Coming back from a romp in the mud is already such a hassel to clean up afterwards.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
If I can find a way to adequately protect it from the elements, while still allowing proper circulation, I was going to put my ARB compressor in that spot. I don't know if I will be able to pull both of those requirements off, however.

Mikey

Bronco Guru
What if you cut the end off the old tank and use the end to fab up a door to use it as storage.....? The rest of the area should already be somewhat water-proof and the original skid plate would protect it. You could throw all sorts of stuff you couldn't reach!!! I'd be sure to really clean the tank out, though...and yes, I'm thinking of the plastic tank....you could put in your sleeping bag, tent, shovels, etc....

I dunno, just a thought.....I like keeping my tank for spare gas....

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
FOr me it would be lowering the floor so I could see out of the windshield. Maybe a shallow storage bin under that.

Crankshaft67

I second the beer key with side tap, I would consider a baffled one, don't want too much head out on the trail, could be distracting.

I'm for the keg idea, you could run the line up through the old gas inlet and mount the tap where the fuel cap is...

drmn99

Loc.
San Marcos
I would say make a little hatch under the seat with a gas tank look underneith. That way you can throw your road sodas into the secret compartment and if johnny comes rollin all he see's is the arrowhead sitten in your hand with no road soda in sight.

UFGN

Loc.
Lakeland,FL
I think I'm going to put my train horns under there. I've looked at it and I think its the only place I can put them.