• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing Brite window trim

Vintagehoss

Loc.
Lutz, FL
I may have missed the instructions, but, nowhere did I see any mention of installing the trim into the rubber gaskets before the (stationary) windows were installed in the openings? (Not in the Ford factory manual or with the instructions that came with the window seals.)
Has anyone successfully installed the trim after the windows were installed or do I have to remove the tailgate, windshield, and both quarter windows, and start over with new gaskets?

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Having new gaskets is a plus. Without the trim in them, that allows a little more flexibility. It's possible you can save and reuse your gaskets, just work carefully. New glass will be more costly than new gaskets. Lube things up good with soapy water.

OP
OP
V

Vintagehoss

Loc.
Lutz, FL
Thanks for the quick replys. I figured that was going to be the answer, but I was hoping that maybe there was a magic tool. I made a small hook but even with all the lubricant the rubber would not allow the molding to snap in place.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I just did my windshield today. You need to install the gasket to the glass first. Then install the trim. I had good luck doing it this way if it translates into text. Looking at the trim you will see the corners are open on edge and closed on the other. This is to allow you to slide the trim into place and have the corners lock together - it will slide until the edge of one piece locks into the other piece in the corner 90 degrees apart.

I started by using bar soap on the back of the brite trim tang. Then I started at one end, got the tang in, then slide along the glass until the whole length was installed. Example: looking at the glass laying flat on the work bench in front of you. Take a long piece of trim and starting on the RIGHT side of the glass insert the LEFT edge of the trim into the groove. Then you slide the trim to the LEFT and keep feeding the trim into the groove. Eventually the left edge of the trim is pushed to the left edge of the glass and the right edge is the last part to slide in. It is difficult to try and "push" it into the groove all the way along. You can tug the gasket to try and get it into place but it is much slower.

Broncmeister

pcf_mark is correct. Gasket installed on window, then trim installed on gasket, then the whole setup installed into frame.

I however, ever brave enough to do things different did not follow that advice. (all right, I was a moron and forgot to install the trim). Let me tell you it was a bugger to do! What you have to do is get yourself a bottle of dawn dish soap (I'm sure any liquid dish soap will work, I just used dawn cuz that's what the wife had under the sink lol). lube that chrome trim up real good, and start on one end pushing it through the slot. continue lubing it up with as much dawn as necessary as you are sliding it through. It takes a lot of time, patience, and elbow grease but they eventually go.

OP
OP
V

Vintagehoss

Loc.
Lutz, FL
Thanks again for the information. I'm going to bite the bullet and start over with new gaskets. (I hate doing a job twice.) Maybe some of this chatter will help someone else from making the same mistake, or at least the Bronco parts suppliers to put a note in with the slotted gaskets informing the installer to put the trim in the slot after the gasket is installed on the glass and before you put the cord in the groove to install the window in the body frame.

1971BroncoSport

1. 3M glue in groove in gasket where glass sits
2. Glass in groove
3. 3M glue in groove to fit to top or window frame
4. Wax coated string around gasket with lose ends meeting in the middle of top of gasket
5. Place glass in hole
6. Work gasket with string starting in one direction, pulling the lip of the gasket over the edge of the metal - all while holding other end of string in place. One person inside, another outside working the gasket into place.
7. Once gasket is seated in frame and ready to work in brite trim - spray silicon in the receiving groove. Use the spray straw that comes with the silicon to get it in the groove. (don't over do it - wipe off excess)
8. Take an old toothbrush with an end that is shaved down to about a 3/8" and run it inside the siliconed groove to work the lubricant in and open the groove up.
9. Take the top piece of trim, angle the tang into the groove and slide it top to bottom. Work it along the length of the trim until it seats fully along the length of the gasket.
10. Do same silicon treatment with end pieces, though start below the female end of the upper trim and slide the piece up.
11. Repeat

OP
OP
V

Vintagehoss

Loc.
Lutz, FL
Window trim installation

Thank you, Thank you! The silicone spray worked!!! I had tried soapy water, even pure dish soap, and some silicone grease, but none of it worked.

I've got two windows done, The tail gate and one side quarter window. It took me about 2 hours but it worked. Thanks again. I hope I can return the new set of window gaskets that I ordered? Maybe in the future I can return the favor with some information on another part of the Bronco that I may have more knowledge. I am doing a complete rebuild on a 74 Bronco Ranger. Maybe about a month away from putting the battery in and hoping the smoke stays inside the wires.