• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is there a cable clutch kit that works with our Broncos?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I know you can do a hydro clutch swap, but what about a cable conversion?

Seems like it would be an easy way to address the missing linkage hole in the later blocks that get swapped in. I've never heard of an EB kit though.

Anyone know if the Mustang kits work on the EB or if there's a universal kit that'll work?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Never seen one for a Bronco. Never seen one swapped in either, I always see conversions done hydro.

I know that motorcycle clutches can be hydro or cable, there are plenty of kits to upgrade old cable clutches to hydro, but never go from a hydro clutch to cable.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Buddy of mine did a 69 mustang using an 80's to 90's stock mustang one but i dont know what he did. Shouldnt be too hard to do

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I have a cable conversion on my '67 Mustang, but it was already installed when I bought the car. Not sure what all the Mustang swap entails.

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
:My 76 Mustang II Mach I 302 4 speed had a cable clutch from the factory. Maybe research this as an option. Could be something overlooked. Maybe this helps.:)

This 76 had every Cobra part but the name.
adj. shocks, whole car blacked out, fast back,
302 v8, 4 speed, l/s rear end, ...and cable clutch.:eek:

Last edited:

Basketcase

Cable clutch

I have a cable clutch in my Mustang that I changed over to a T-5 transmission. All of the cable clutch set ups that I have ever seen are built to pull on the throw out bearing lever rather than push on the lever like the original clutch systems. That is because these are all using a Diaphram type pressure plate rather than a Borg & beck type plate. The throw out bearing on the Diaphram type rides in continuous contact with the fingers of the Diaphram and therefore require less distance of movement to actuate the pressure plate. If you are converting your clutch to a Diaphram type pressure plate you very well may be able to adapt a Mustang cable kit to your clutch pedal. Do a search for MustangSteve who builds a very good kit and may work for you.