• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lee Power Steering kit for Explorer 5.0 to EB

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I got the reservoir and like it and if I ever need a stronger pump, I’d go that route since I want to keep the explorer setup for how I have things.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I got just the pump recently to try but haven't installed it yet.

Todd Z.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA

Todd Z.
What did just the pump cost? Would be good to know if I’m not happy with the stock pump. I just bought a new one but they are cheap.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
What did just the pump cost? Would be good to know if I’m not happy with the stock pump. I just bought a new one but they are cheap.
It wasn’t cheap either. About $475-495 plus the pulley and adapter bracket. Been doing a lot of research on the Saginaw CB pumps. Apparently they’re a good thing.

Todd Z.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Yeah, not surprised on the price. I thought about going Saginaw but the stock explorer bracket seemed like it would work better for me. Will see how my steering g is and then if unhappy, I’ll go that route.

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru

Todd Z.

Todd, any reason you didn't do the @lars Super Duty pump guts swap into Explorer pump before going this route? From my read of his post, it seemed like a valid upgrade that is effectively bolt-in since same form factor.

@lars, any update from you on that mod?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Lars and I have discussed it many times and I decided it probably wasn't worth it. I must have a p/s pump fetish or something :). I have several different configurations sitting around here in my collection.

Todd Z.

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
Lars and I have discussed it many times and I decided it probably wasn't worth it. I must have a p/s pump fetish or something :). I have several different configurations sitting around here in my collection.

Todd Z.

:) p/s pump fetish, brake MC fetish, visor fetish, windshield wiper fetish, etc. It's rather long list of Bronco fetishes (that I'd be proud to have!)

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I've run my modded pump twice. First, right after I did the mod. At the time I still had an OEM 77 power steering box and I was afraid that the extra pressure could damage it. Subsequently removed that steering box and sold it for an immense profit. Now 4x4x2 and not concerned. I installed the modded pump again when I did the 408 swap a couple of years ago. It worked fine until the seal blew about 6 months later. I reinstalled the junkyard pump that I've been running since 2005 or so and will not die. In fact it works fine, and honestly I couldn't tell the difference performance-wise between ancient junkyard and basically brand new Super Duty. I've read the stories of others with Explorer power steering pump issues but I've never had any, at all. I don't do extreme crawling, my tires are 35" and I don't have a ram, so that's likely part of it. Someday I'll probably replace the seal, most likely if ole' reliable finally gives up.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
:) p/s pump fetish, brake MC fetish, visor fetish, windshield wiper fetish, etc. It's rather long list of Bronco fetishes (that I'd be proud to have!)
Anyone listening to the (very) long conversations that Todd and I have, obsessing about obscure and not-so-obscure Bronco details would probably collapse onto the floor. Or leave the room. In fact I can say with confidence that the latter has happened, fairly regularly.

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
I've run my modded pump twice. First, right after I did the mod. At the time I still had an OEM 77 power steering box and I was afraid that the extra pressure could damage it. Subsequently removed that steering box and sold it for an immense profit. Now 4x4x2 and not concerned. I installed the modded pump again when I did the 408 swap a couple of years ago. It worked fine until the seal blew about 6 months later. I reinstalled the junkyard pump that I've been running since 2005 or so and will not die. In fact it works fine, and honestly I couldn't tell the difference performance-wise between ancient junkyard and basically brand new Super Duty. I've read the stories of others with Explorer power steering pump issues but I've never had any, at all. I don't do extreme crawling, my tires are 35" and I don't have a ram, so that's likely part of it. Someday I'll probably replace the seal, most likely if ole' reliable finally gives up.

Appreciate the followup. I had assumed the Super Duty mod increased flow, and *maybe* increased pressure. I need to go back and read your article again.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Appreciate the followup. I had assumed the Super Duty mod increased flow, and *maybe* increased pressure. I need to go back and read your article again.
It definitely increased pressure, substantially. I was able to measure that. I did not have a way to measure flow- maybe I just wasn't clever enough- so I don't know about that.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone listening to the (very) long conversations that Todd and I have, obsessing about obscure and not-so-obscure Bronco details would probably collapse onto the floor. Or leave the room. In fact I can say with confidence that the latter has happened, fairly regularly.
I've enjoyed those conversations over some good Gin :)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
See Lars? Maybe it wasn’t the conversation that put others on the floor after all.
It was the associated drinkin’ that did it!

Reactions: POG

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
It definitely increased pressure, substantially. I was able to measure that. I did not have a way to measure flow- maybe I just wasn't clever enough- so I don't know about that.

I was just typing “if it increased pressure, then it also increased flow” but then I seemed to recall on Explorer style of pump hydraulic flow, thats not the case.

Hmmmmm. Currently reaching for a refill of my favorite refreshment for deeper reflection.