• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Moab Bronco Safari 2024 is on life support

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Always a few that spoil it for everyone else. And it’s hard to be the bad guy and tattle on others that should know better. :(

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
Always a few that spoil it for everyone else. And it’s hard to be the bad guy and tattle on others that should know better. :(
We must have really left a sour taste too since it was an unanimous decision. I saw someone that had been to both EJS and BS say:

"the difference in behavior, especially on the trials was notable. EJS trail leaders and gunners were strict about staying on the trail paths, leaving no trace (garbage, etc) and being respectful of town citizens. Not the same during Bronco Safari, unfortunately. Definitely more lax attitude at Bronco Safari and were certainly more novice drivers getting in over the heads."

I only went with the official group twice since the groups were huge and the pace was too slow for my liking. I didn't really see anything terrible but they could have used more leaders. If they want to sway the board into an approval I think there needs to be a low cap on participants (100?) and a guarantee of better structure.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Were there early broncos and Gen 6 broncos at the event for the first time together? If the answer is yes, and there's never been an issue before, I can tell you how to fix the problem lol. I see the problem on FB daily unfortunately.

Last edited:

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
That's sad.

This is something I've been wanting to do for some time. EJS used to be a yearly event for my friends and myself. When we first started it was a mess, people drinking, passing off-road, garbage etc. Many people way over their head, including someone right behind me that rolled. No surprise considering the stupid stuff they had been doing. Over the years it got much better other than the lines become to long. We quit going because of the size. Depending on the trail You can do several trails in a day versus one in a very long day.

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
Were their early broncos and Gen 6 broncos at the event for the first time together? If the answer is yes, and there's never been an issue before, I can tell you how to fix the problem lol. I see the problem on FB daily unfortunately.
I understand that there were some 6Gs at the 22 event, but 23 was an invasion. There are a lot of really good people that have 6Gs...and a lot of not so good ones.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I find the whole situation sad. It’s a fun time in a great place, but takes a tremendous amount of work for both the organization of the event and the land use is a whole other massive undertaking in its self. There was one obstacle in particular that witnesses counted 6 destroyed vehicles on. was one of the dumbest things I’ve ever come across. Whether they were on an official run or not they were associated with the event.

One of the things everyone forgets, they are in an area for an event and whether they are participating at that moment or not that behavior is tagged back to the event. Each and every person is a steward of the trails that we enjoy and when that stewardship is tarnished it has a cascading effect. Like everything else, the few ruin it for the rest.

From what I witnessed on the trail they were not prepared for the huge numbers of 6g’s that arrived. It was a frustrating, ugly mess on the trail. Not slamming anyone involved they were trying, just overwhelmed to the point of failure.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
"There are a lot of really good people that have 6Gs...and a lot of not so good ones."
This can be said about any group of vehicle owners (Jeep, Side by side..). Maybe it's that so many of the 6G crowd are new to off-roading and don't understand the ethics and risks.

76Bronco21

I hope Steve St Clair and the Utah Bronco Club can successfully appeal this, it would be criminal to not have this event. If they have a Go Fund Me page I'd be more than happy to donate.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Which was that? I heard of a guy that flopped in Devil's Hot Tub during the group ride.
Sent a pm, don’t want to step on anyone with specifics in an open forum. Was not part of the official event but was full of participants. The damage was limited to drivelines but the damage was significant, enough to make for difficult recovery and not drove out on their own. All from a “leader” that had no business doing it and a group of sheep that kept following instead of saying wait, your an idiot.

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Everyone,

I've been to a few Bronco Safaris. I thought Steve and Utah Bronco Club did a great job. There's a lot more work that goes into an event like that than most people understand.

We've been coming to Labor Day Safari in Moab since 2011. We've gotten to know quite a few of the Red Rock 4-Wheelers. They run their events in ways that are good (and needed) for a continuing event, but, bad for people who don't want structured rules. RR4Ws get criticized because they are so structured; but, a lot of that structure comes from lessons learned at past events, including litigation related to the club activities. It gets pretty serious.

Yeller hit the nail on the head... each person at these events represents the event, and anything they do will be associated with that group. 99 people can follow the rules and then there's one or two who don't. It's the one or two who are remembered.

I wasn't at the '22 or '23 Bronco Safaris... it sounds like there were a lot of 6Gs. At the '21 event there were just a few. Maybe there could be two different events, one for the EBs and the other for the 6Gs?

It would be a real shame for Bronco Safari to be absent in 2024.

Jeff

Contributor
People going to the events and Moab need to adopt more of the mentality of the Rubicon. Where they respect the trails and the land (not to say they don’t).. and other fellow wheelers need to police their own unfortunately to keep things open.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
Well, on the appeal, I hope they plan on showing how they won't make the same mistakes next time.
I think a reasonable solution is a cap on participants, say 200. They could give past attendees the first crack at it. Couple that with a mandatory etiquette class before tickets are even handed out.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
It's hard to believe that the Bronco Safari has more bad actors than the Jeep Safari that has 4x the participants.

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
Or even a 1/4 of that, whatever they feel they can manage.
If that's what it takes. I think there were over 300 this year. I didn't see a count for 22 but it must have been a manageable number. I'm guessing it was usually 100 or less prior to 21?

They could come up with a minimum participant vs staff ratio too, so the event can only grow when staff is added. Anything to clamp down and show the commission that we're serious about doing it right.

OP
OP
Tricky Dick

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
It's hard to believe that the Bronco Safari has more bad actors than the Jeep Safari that has 4x the participants.
The elephant in the room is the 6Gs, and in addition to the newbies, I theorize that the way they were marketed as the "go fast" offroad option brought in some rowdier people.

And it is fun to go fast in them, I get it.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
The elephant in the room is the 6Gs, and in addition to the newbies, I theorize that the way they were marketed as the "go fast" offroad option brought in some rowdier people.

And it is fun to go fast in them, I get it.
Same for SC East. Anyone new to the event in the last two years thinks it's the best thing ever and were amazed at how 900 broncos were capable getting together in one place, the drives, etc. Anyone who's been their prior to the previous two years knows how crowded it is now. Still very well organized, but it's not what it was. From lodging difficulties to food difficulties, crowded drives with no room to park along some of the drives, it's not for the better IMO.