• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lower tailgate weather stripping?

adlore1018

Anybody have a diagram for mounting the lower tailgate weather stripping or a photo that shows the correct position. Thanks

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I formed some aluminum L shaped angles to hold the rubber that runs all the way around the top door to the tail gate base. I screwed these to the side of the bed. Then when I installed the rubber around the upper door and down the sides -a continous piece, so I could get a nice fit and transition to the other peice of rubber that runs at the base of the tail gate.

Because I used a heavy wool type of insulation under my carpet the stock trim piece wouldn't fit correctly. I bought a slightly wider and higher crowned transition strip from Home Depot and cut to lenght for across the base of the tail gate.
The rubber at the base of the tailgate has a flanged flat side and a hollow round side....fit the flat side to fit well under the trim piece/carpet transition strip and butt the round side aginst the tailgate base so it slightly smashes when the tailgate is closed giving you a firm nice fit that seals well.

The trim piece/ transition strip does 2 things, it hold the carpet down, and holds the flat part of the rubber seal at the base of the tail gate. Its common for the tiny little factory screw to not hold very well and/or get wallowed out over time. I laided out a nice pattern -actually used the pattern w/ holes already drilled into the transition strip that I used, drill out the stock holes if nessesary and use the next-size large screws when you reinstall everything. I think #6 or there abouts should work fine. I used a small amount of pookey to seal each screw as I installed mine because I wanted it to seal very well and never have exhaust enter my cab.