• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Making a high pinion 44

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have been working a little more on my bronco. I have it driving better than it ever has. But to do this I had to sacrifice pinion angle by leaning the axle back in the top to get my castor angle back. The truck is lifted and it has a 205 transfer case. So with the lift and the higher sitting 205 I have a severe angle on the front drive shaft. Bad enough that it will bind with any front droop at all. It needs to fixed. So a high pinion is the first thing that will help out. But to get the pinion angle correct and not sacrifice drivability due to the poor castor geometry of the ball joints, the C's ( ball joint arms / mounts ) need to be cut off and rotated back. So when you do this the wedge mounts on the axle that the radius arms mount to also need to be moved. So, all that sounds like a great time.

First off I needed to find a donor axle. I was after a 75-77 f100 / 150 dana 44. The f 150 axle was the best choice because everything on it could be cut off and re used. You need to cut off the track bar mount, thats the one part you wont re use. ( You want to build a new raised track bar mount on the axle and get rid of any drop bracket you may have on the drivers side frame. It's a leverage game and the axle is stronger than the frame.)

I got an axle from a member on this site ( super cool ). It was what I was wanting, a 1975 H.P. 44 out of an f100. This axle also has 1/2'' thick axle tubes, very beefy. So I dragged it out of the truck. Set jack stands up on a wheel dolly and put it on the stands. This made for a good working position. ( You are going to be working on it for a while, might as well get comfortable.) I took some measurements from a bronco width axle I have. Compared them to the new axle and figured out a plan of action. First I cut off the axle wedges. These are burned in pretty deep but if you go at them at the correct angle they come off pretty fast. I uses a 3'' zip wheel on a die grinder. With the wedges off it is easier to get to the weld on the C. I used my porta band to cut the C off. Yes I cut it clean off because I was going to shorten the tube anyway. I did cut right at the inside shoulder of the C. Cutting thru the weld. When it comes off try and catch it because it hurts when it bounces off your boot. Well with all that cut off you would think I would just do the other side. I was out of zip wheels. So I chose to clean up the stuff I had cut. The C needed the tube out of it. The wedges needed cleaned up and the track bar mount needed cut off the wedge. Plus the axle tube needed shortened and cleaned up and prepped to fit the C back on. I could do all this without the zip wheels. I ground the back face of the C. I got to where I could see the outline of the tube in the C. I then Put it in my press and tried to press it out. No love there. So I cut the inside of the tube to the C. I did this 2 times. I was then able to get the tube out of the C.
So at this point I had got good fits on the parts and just for fun I taped the wedges on and lightly tapped the C onto the axle about 1 /3 of the way. I needed to get cleaned up to go get supplies, the football games were starting and I was over it for the day. Shower , shopping, sitting. More tomorrow.

My plan is to get both sides all prepped. I will pull my 44 out of the bronco. I will mount the radius arms on the new axle with the wedges loose on the axle. I will set the springs back and get the truck weight back on the axle tubes. Then set my pinion angle, center my wedges where they need to go and tack them in place. Next I will set my C angle. I still need to find out what the best C angle is. Anyone?
After that I will pull it out and weld everything. I am pretty sure I could do all this using measurements, never having to test fit. But I want to get it right the first time. Extra work but that how I want to do it.

Attachments

• IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 258

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking good...I've messed up enough stuff based on measurements, that I intend to do a ride height fitment check with everything just tack welded in place before I weld things out, so I'm with you there. I hadn't thought about it until I was looking at your pictures, but have you (or anyone else) considered repurposing the factory F150 track bar mount for a ram-assist cylinder mount?

mrdrnac

Contributor
Thanks for sharing Bax. I will be following your progress.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I resumed work on the 44 axle this morning. I got pretty much everything done that I wanted to do today. I started working on the short side of the axle. The wedges came off easy, however the C kicked my butt. it was not as easy as the long side. The long side I could just cut the C clean off and work with it off the axle. Not on the short side. I was only going to cut 9/16'' of the tube off so I had to grind the weld away all the way around. To make it harder, the weld was burned deep into the joint. I had to bevel inward almost 1/8'' to get to un welded tube. Got the C off and cleaned up all the parts. Next I taped the wedges on the axle. I was hoping that I could bolt up the radius arms and still rotate the housing. Turns out you can do this pretty easy. Floor jack on the pinion yoke. I installed the housing and set the pinion angle. I made sure the truck was at ride hight with no lean on either side. I then Tacked the C's in place. I checked the measurements on the spacing of the wedges several times. I think you could be off as much as a half inch and not be in any trouble, as long as you are wide and not narrow with the layout. So I am ready to set the angle on the C's. I think it's 7 degrees positive but I want to find out for sure. Pretty happy with it so far, the driveshaft angle is way better. It was getting dark so I quit for the day. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0568.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0564.jpg
    IMG_0564.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0557.jpg
    IMG_0557.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 186

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Looks great Bax. 7 degrees will drive really nice and be good to your tires. On the street more begins to scallop the edges. If It was the racer I'd say go 10, it makes it behave more like a cambered front in the turns at speed and if crawling makes the tire dig around the corners harder.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Thanks Steve, 7 it is. Explains a few things about certain trucks I have seen.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Your welcome! I actually miss building axles, with the cost of new ones today it's hard to justify the time to pay someone to do what your doing. Funny part is I despise gear set up in Dana's, I pay another shop to do them and I have all the correct tools to make it easy.....lol

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
how hard is the C's pressed on that heavy tube Light enough to tap it over with a hammer or do you have to drive it off and push it back on in the right spot? That heavy ass tube got to make this axle that much more unmanageable to move around.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
how hard is the C's pressed on that heavy tube Light enough to tap it over with a hammer or do you have to drive it off and push it back on in the right spot? That heavy ass tube got to make this axle that much more unmanageable to move around.

The C is a tight fit but not unmanageable. It s not a tapper but it's also not a beat fest. I don't think the thick tube has anything to do with it. Not sure it makes any difference other than stronger / heavier. Today I set both the C's. I got them very close to the correct angle and tapped them into place. Tapped with a 3 pound hammer, short swings while sitting down in front of it. When I got them driven in place I was off a few degrees. I was able to turn them on the tube without pounding on them. So I would say that the install is pretty reasonable and not an extreme event.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Can't wait to see this all come together...

Roger's builds are always interesting!

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
OK, today was C install day. The day before I had already leveled the truck, so it was sitting level and square. No leaning to one side or the other. I am not sure how much of this matters as long as you are at ride hight I would think that would be good. I made an informed decision to go with 7 degrees positive caster. I was able to install both C's without too much trouble. I got them started and set them to 7 degrees. I then hammered them on fully into position. I re checked the angle and both were wrong. I was able to "tap" them around on the tube and got them both to 7 degrees. I then took a sharp cold chisel and made a mark to locate them. I did this just in case they moved while I was removing the housing from the bronco. I got the housing out and set it back up on my work cart. Nothing had moved. I would of had to drop it to get anything to move, but that was the reason for the indexing marks. I then reinstalled my low pinion back into the bronco. I got that all done and it's driving again. I then removed the carrier and gear set. I had not done that earlier because I was using the yoke and pinion to set the angle. It was nice to be able to bolt the drive shaft up to aid in the pinion angle set up. Sadly the gear was a 3.50 gear, My bronco runs 4.11's. That would of been getting really lucky. Something that rarely happens to me. So the housing still needs a tall track bar bracket. I did not have anything around that would of looked good so I left it for now. Right now the housing is ready to be welded. The strap in my welding helmet is broken so I need to get that fixed before I can weld. I wish I had a friend that can weld. This is one job I would not mind letting someone else do. My eyesight is getting worse and I have trouble seeing the weld. It's all thick steel so I should be fine. It was 98 degrees today, I picked up about 4 pm and called it a day. Perhaps tomorrow I will get it all welded up. If I don't show the welds you know whats up. I took a few pictures. Look at the final picture. That is the low pinion axle. It has 7 degree bushings in it. The positive castor is only at 5 degrees. It drives fine but the driveshaft angle is at it's limit. As it sits the driveshaft is starting to bind when it spins. If I were to droop out that front end I would bust the u joint. I had to do something and I think this high pinion will be a great add.

Attachments

• IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 186

Attac

Contributor
Bax I have a track bar riser bracket that I didn't use. Brand new WH one. You want it. I will send it to you.
Chuck

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Bax I have a track bar riser bracket that I didn't use. Brand new WH one. You want it. I will send it to you.
Chuck

Thanks Chuck, you're so nice to me. I was looking at them last night on line. They use part of the old mount. I don't have an old mount, but I can come up with something.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have given up trying to get pictures to be rotated correctly. I take them with my I phone and I guess between my apple computer and the apple phone I can't seem to get pictures posted correctly.

Attac

Contributor
I saw that but the bolt seems to be used because it is there already. That thing welds on like a truss. I think it would be a good start even if you modded it with extra bracing. And the price is right. Let me see. Free. Sound familiar. Text me your address and I will have my boy get it sent to you tomorrow. I'm in Italy right now but he will ups it to ya. I am coming down and bring your other parts and pick up mine that you GAVE me..
I don't need the riser and it's just gonna sit in a box. I would rather have a part on a BAX build

Attac

Contributor
I have same prob with pics. Someone smarter on here said to open pic on computer and rotate it 90 and save it and then open it again and rotate it back and save it again. That's what I have to do because I apparently can't use a camera on a phone correctly

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
This is one job I would not mind letting someone else do. My eyesight is getting worse and I have trouble seeing the weld.

I was in the same boat until I picked up a 1.5x cheater lens for my helmet. I wish I would've discovered those several years ago. Now I can see the bead again and don't have to weld by feel. %)

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bax, what C-bushings did you use with the radius arms? Stock, 2, 4, 7 degree?