• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New bronco owner questions

steelworker77

Picking up our new to us 71 Bronco next week. 2 of the things I would like to do first are replacing the Holley 4 bbl with efi (either sniper 2 or fitech) and swapping the 3 speed manual for the ax15. For those that have made these changes which one will I appreciate more? Trying to do things 1 at a time. Thanks and very excited.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
May be happier with a custom built quadrajet or Ford SEFI.
AX15 is great, make sure it matches your axle ratios/tire size.

Contributor
Skip the sniper so many people have problems. I’d recommend Pro Flo 4 for aftermarket efi.

Schloer2

Congrats and welcome! I just picked up a ‘71 outfitted with Pro Flo 4 and a nv3550. Loving the setup so far and would absolutely recommend. Modern trans will probably have a bigger impact on the driving experience while efi is more of a nice to have unless you are planning to get off axis a lot ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol Mule

I've had nothing but good luck with my Sniper for over three years and over 10k miles, so not everyone has had bad experiences with it...

OP
OP
S

steelworker77

Will any year ax15 work? I can get a good deal locally on rebuilt ones vs buying a new one.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Will any year ax15 work? I can get a good deal locally on rebuilt ones vs buying a new one.
No, there's a bunch of different ones.

The one from the 98-00 Jeep Wrangler is the one that has become that people like. Watch out for the earlier 91-96 YJ because they use the GM style input shaft. The one from the Cherokee 4x4 is similar, but not exact. But if you spec a 99 TJ with the 4.0 that should be a winner.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I ditched Ford EFI because it stopped being possible to re-program the computers to eliminate things we don't normally have on our broncos like vacuum emissions and possibly EGR.
I've also known too many people who have simply abandoned Sniper and fitech systems for various reasons.
Then I watched Nashville Early Bronco comparison of Fitech and Edelbrock Proflo 4 and probably ordered the Proflo for before the video was over:
First EFI system that I've ever installed (I've installed three total on this EB) that actually started on the first try and ran well on the first try.
It has continued to run well, deliver tons of power and requires very little meddling.

My two bits
JB

Midnight

Skip the sniper so many people have problems. I’d recommend Pro Flo 4 for aftermarket efi.
I am thinking of switching my 73' 302 over to EFI, was looking at the Sniper. I just started doing some research on them. So when I saw this post it gave me pause, What king of problems are people having?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I am thinking of switching my 73' 302 over to EFI, was looking at the Sniper. I just started doing some research on them. So when I saw this post it gave me pause, What king of problems are people having?
Most is centered around RF interference due to the location of the ford distributor and/or heat failure related internal electronics.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
What axle ratios do you recommend on 33's?
4:56 or 4:88 with a somewhat stock 302. I have 4:11 with 33's with the stock 3 speed manual and runs around 2800rpm's @ 65/70. I don't need to go much faster than that in a 54 year old truck with a short wheel base and lifted. My motor likes that RPM so when I decide to with an OD I'll be going with the 4:88's and the 33's.

FordFarmer

Contributor
Another thought…As long as it runs well just drive it like it is for a while. You may find that the current setup suits your needs. If you do decide to proceed with changes, it’ll be based on experience with your rig, not what you thought you wanted/needed. Im running a stock three on the tree, autolite 2100 carb’d ‘71. I had big plans for a five speed, fuel injection, air conditioning etc. 10 years later the only change I followed through with was the air conditioning. Whatever you decide, good luck. Lots of experience and great advice here on CB.

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
I ditched Ford EFI because it stopped being possible to re-program the computers to eliminate things we don't normally have on our broncos like vacuum emissions and possibly EGR.
I've also known too many people who have simply abandoned Sniper and fitech systems for various reasons.
Then I watched Nashville Early Bronco comparison of Fitech and Edelbrock Proflo 4 and probably ordered the Proflo for before the video was over:
First EFI system that I've ever installed (I've installed three total on this EB) that actually started on the first try and ran well on the first try.
It has continued to run well, deliver tons of power and requires very little meddling.

My two bits
JB

I see you have a 2 inch body lift, would that Proflo 4 fit under a stock hood with 2" body lift? It looks kinda tall with that air gap intake.