• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SOLD New, never run, but installed Detroit SOFT Locker, 28-spline

Status
Not open for further replies.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
City: Los Gatos, CA
Price: $ 500

So my original plan was to run this and then change to 31 spline because of my 35” tires but seems like that’s not going to work and I’d be better off just upgrading everything now despite my wasted money on new axle bearings and lots of headaches so seeing if there is any interest for this locker if I do it this way.

I bought it from Tom’s years ago. I installed it. It has never been run or filled with oil. Does work, happy to take a videos showing the locking operation.

Again, it has never been run. Axle has been sealed since I installed it years ago and mostly garaged. I can see though the axle shaft that it still looks new but can pull and show some pics if th3e is interest.

No idea what it’s worth, but certainly less than a 31 spline unit and new axles is gonna cost me. I guess i could throw in these nice stock well cleaned up not perfect but brand new bearing axles with it but shipping might hurt.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
1685557009737.png
Here’s a pic from when I installed it years ago.

canzelc

Contributor
So my original plan was to run this and then change to 31 spline because of my 35” tires but seems like that’s not going to work and I’d be better off just upgrading everything now despite my wasted money on new axle bearings and lots of headaches so seeing if there is any interest for this locker if I do it this way.

I bought it from Tom’s years ago. I installed it. It has never been run or filled with oil. Does work, happy to take a videos showing the locking operation.

Again, it has never been run. Axle has been sealed since I installed it years ago and mostly garaged. I can see though the axle shaft that it still looks new but can pull and show some pics if th3e is interest.

No idea what it’s worth, but certainly less than a 31 spline unit and new axles is gonna cost me. I guess i could throw in these nice stock well cleaned up not perfect but brand new bearing axles with it but shipping might hurt.
PM sent.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
More info to update:

It's the NEW VERSION Detroit Locker, also called the "SOFT-LOCKER”

187SL13A​

I did originally buy it from Tom's but looks like Tom's doesn't have it anymore. It's the same one here:
[/URL][/URL]

It's $770 new, plus the $200 I just last week spent on the bearings, press and cleanup of these axles...I had them sandblasted and then painted them...

I'll sell axles and locker for $500.

Local preferred, but I can ship if needed. You just might have to wait until I get the replacement stuff to I have the right boxes to ship in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Corrected my post, I was wrong but found the original paperwork…this is the NEW SOFT LOCKER version of the Detroit as designated by the SL in the model number.

$500 buys this brand new but been sitting piece that retails for $765 and I’ll throw the axles in free.

I can ship if I can find a box to support it.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
It’s whatever ratio you put on it. Just a locker which mounts inside your third member.

your driveshaft is connected to the yoke which is connected to the pinion gear, which contacts and turns the ring gear, which turns the locker or gears that turn your axles. Ring gear and axles are connected to whatever unit (like this) that you have in your third member.

Hope that’s not too much blabbing. You either have an open diff (stock), or a posi clutch type diff, or a gear posi diff like trutrac, or a locker like this. This will spin both wheels together (lock the axles) unless one turns differently than the other. If one spins too fast, it will release it and power will go to the wheel that isn’t spinning so you get traction on that wheel that has grip. If you turn, it recognizes the smaller amount of difference and releases the wheel turning slightly slower (inside wheel, I think but not positive) and then when you straighten out again, axles will automatically RE-lock.

I’ve looked at everything and I feel this is the best. I don’t like lockers you have to switch on or off and I don’t like phony lockers that don’t spin the wheel that needs spinning.

I’m only selling this because I made a mistake buying the 28 spline version forever ago, as I need at least a 31 spline sized axle for my 35” wheels and less foot. So, I’m buying the same exact thing in a 31 spline version and I just ordered my new axles.

kbooth5

Contributor
Loc.
Texas
Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were selling the whole third member! My apologies

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were selling the whole third member! My apologies
No prob…maybe partially my fault for posting the pic of the whole third member.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
This is like 40% off new and it's just been installed, still new, never run, never filled with out.

Axles with new bearings free if you want them with it, the flanges have been turned down to fit CJ discs and 2" studs for discs. Flanges sandblasted and painted.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Pulled the locker out and it’s ready to go. I left the brand new bearings installed, they come with it. Here’s a pic.
IMG_5434.jpeg
Here are the axles:
IMG_5404.jpeg

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Shipping for locker alone, only $10 in contig US.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Bump, I’ll ship free anywhere in the contig US.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Bump, this is a steal...never been run and free shipping for the locker.

Status
Not open for further replies.