• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New owner from Germany

OP
OP
T

tody

As far as parts go, I almost always order on rockauto.
We have stores over here that stock US parts, but the markup on the price is ridiculous.
And with Rockauto, I'm able to order on monday, and the parts arrive here on friday. They ship overseas with Fedex, and the shipping time is just insane. I can even pre-pay customs charges.

As far as parts quality go, see my endeavor with the rear brake hose above.
I believe I have one or two old pumps on the shelf. I'll have a look which brand they are and whether or not they have markings on where they were made.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
in the meantime, i will take care of both tanks. auxiliary tank is out and looks good. needs new straps, though. fuel out of the main tank also looked pretty clean. still need to drop it.

help me to decide on the fuel pump. it came with an electric pump, mounted on the frame right after the selector valve. should i keep it? or go with the manual pump on the engine?
i tend towards the manual pump, due to reliability...

I'd lean towards mechanical too.. but just my .02

OP
OP
T

tody

yesterday held a pleasant surprise for me - a box from TBP which went straight through customs. i was able to pay customs and taxes at the door.
usually, i have to pick it up at the customs office as they are too lazy to check the box for the invoice. it's almost always held back, but not his time.

door latch is now working with a new rod - the old one was bent and welded in two spots. doubt it was the original one.
all four side markers are working now, the rear passenger side was missing the pigtail.
emblems (bronco script and 302) on the passenger side are also on.
fixed the driver side grille light. the two contacts and the little springs below were full of dirt and crud. freed that up, it's working now.

i might get lucky and get the bored engine block back this week...

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tody

summer came, it was hot in europe, summer went away.
did not work a lot on the bronco, i enjoyed my other rides instead.

today, i cleaned the two driveshafts and put in new u-joints.
i believe i need to rework them, though:

front slip yoke is missing the end plug. is there any source for this part? it seems crucial, as the yoke was full of dirt on the inside.

rear slip yoke has a lot of play. when taking it apart, i noticed some plastic lining falling out of between the splines on the fixed end. any idea what this could have been?
the cv joint was shot on this shaft as well. one needle was buried inside, partially crushed. i'm thinking of replacing the rear shaft altogether, and maybe punching the plug out of the rear yoke and using it on the front.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yeah almost time for that W word.. enjoy the good weather while it lasts

OP
OP
T

tody

finally got the engine block back. assembled the short block today, it's now .060 over:

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

OP
OP
T

tody

engine is now back in. clutch and flywheel were good, so they're already installed.
IMG_2724.jpg

went through the transfer case and installed all new seals. that's the next thing going in:
IMG_2731.jpg

i also rebuilt the carb and the distributor. waiting for some parts, as the vacuum advance is broken. it's not far from being driven again!

bobtail

Loc.
high in the desert
tody I have a off topic question for you. are there ever any kublewagen type 82 for sale in germany? I understand that they were all made for the military.

OP
OP
T

tody

last weekend, i was able to put in the transfer case and completed the engine bay a little more:

IMG_2740.jpg

clutch linkage went in with new bushings:
IMG_2741.jpg

i got the correct power steering brackets from WH and mocked up the pump position:
IMG_2742.jpg

also the shifters started to go back in:
IMG_2743.jpg

OP
OP
T

tody

i worked on the hurst/duffys linkage all day today:
IMG_2745.jpg

couldn't get it adjusted quite right, the rods don't quite clear each other. will try to fix this tomorrow:
IMG_2747.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tody

worked on the rig a little more today.
flipped one shift rod around, no more interference between the two
IMG_2756.jpg

and it's always nice to put in shiny new parts, choke tubes are pictured:
IMG_2757.jpg

all in all - close, but no cigar. lots of things crossed off the list, but no starting the engine today. maybe next weekend:
IMG_2758.jpg

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
That site (mobile.de)as well as Autoscout24.de are good sources. I have also seen a few come across bringatrailer.com and those are more likely to already be imported.

OP
OP
T

tody

after having trouble starting the rebuilt engine, i put in a new fuel pump.
fired right up!

https://youtu.be/LETWk0_hPfQ

today, i torqued the complete suspension.
brakes still need to be bled, but there's a small leak at the distribution block i need to fix first.

let it idle for 20 minutes, engine temp was right where it should be, 90C/195F. temp gauge does not work properly, though. probably needs a new sensor, as the gauge goes to hot when the wire is grounded.

unfortunately, the radiator has a tiny leak. it is smashed in a couple of places, without a leak. i think i will have a new core fitted.

not long before it will be back on the road!

Last edited: