• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NORRA class and rules

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Okay, cool this is all out and done and we can get on with the show! Looking forward to April 2020, it should be a lot happier group than started this year. At least we have a few months to get it all together and no big unhappy surprises on the line. If we have some Broncos to race with us in Legends it will be much more fun. Sorry for that selfish perspective! Boyd and Brian, looking forward to seeing you in Ensanada. Chris Wilson, thank you for taking the difficult position here. Never fun to be that guy but it takes a stand up guy to make hard decisions like that and you have my respect for doing so. In the end my hope is to see more Broncos lined up in San Felipe! Mark

seventimechamp

As I stated shortly after this thread began, there should be more than a radius arm and tire size difference between Legend and Pioneer. I get that we've all been following the "Rule Book" (theres 4 right?), but contingincy class bump and confusion and in face bickering was a drag last year, and when we were all asked about input for rules
and would we put some ideas together, I said sure. Like I said in April I can't go down a class to something more antiquated, because Pioneer is it.
Yes, in a way we are running our own race with what we have built/rebuilt. I think there should be a class for trucks like it so Mark Arfington, Albatross, Armyman whatever, and the likes, can come race with us. :)
I can raise 2 hands that I've crashed first day first stage. You can figure out what I was trying to do.
If it works out that we're all still in the same class, I'm fine, but Norra asked for some ideas, and I like my truck, so I looked at it and jotted down some suggestions many similar to what I saw in the 2010, 2012, 2013 NORRAs I attended/competed.

Andrew, Boyd and I are both open to the rules being more defined. We too want to preserve the idea of the pioneer class. In year 3, our first win, we had to battle Dave Cole in his coilover equipped 4 runner, so yes we want the rules to be defined. The proposed rule changes are more defined and actually fit with what we are already running. So all the others saying, “see you in legends” has us kind of miffed. Everyone does realize we already meet or can quickly change to meet all those rules right?

It is our plan to stay in the Pioneer class regardless of what new rules we all create. We just want to make sure the rules are around what people can build, not just around a few historic vehicles that we don’t have. Chris built a bronco to come have fun in a class that looked like guys were having fun, now from the sound of this tread, some are saying, shame on you for reading the rules before you show up, cough-cough.

I feel we have love for all fellow bronco racers, we would give any spare part or stop to assist anyone of you on the trial. I feel we have always been the good guys despite working for the Devil.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We'd still love to have you come join us in Legends!

DelDiablo

Loc.
Dana Point
Boyd, you know good and well that the Fig Newton sponsorship would be just as welcome in Legends as it was in Pioneer!

Darn-it....I know I have a photo of that somewhere.....

I have those photos and other good ones... I just cant seem to figure out how to post the pictures here... I'm lame.

Screen%20Shot%202019-10-21%20at%209.40.50%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202019-10-21%20at%209.42.23%20PM.png

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Boyd, you aren't the only one. You have to be a contributor for $13 or such. I've used Tapatalk but still not good at posting pics. Good to have you on the forum by the way. This is a great bunch o Bronco fanatics.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Norra

Wow, great pictures of your bronco, Eric. Brings back memories. That is me and Jason Dutra (sicaz66) on the left with your wife. Good memories of Jason. He passed last year. RIP, brother.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, great pictures of your bronco, Eric. Brings back memories. That is me and Jason Dutra (sicaz66) on the left with your wife. Good memories of Jason. He passed last year. RIP, brother.

Yeah, was thinking of him just the other day
. RIP

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Sweet! Looking forward to seeing the culmination of your efforts. Thanks Chris, Elisio, and everyone involved for continuing to help make NORRA the best it can be.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Random question for you guys. Im headed to Puerto Penasco next week and taking the Raptor. Any fun to be had in that area? Any beaches I can drive on?

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Random question for you guys. Im headed to Puerto Penasco next week and taking the Raptor. Any fun to be had in that area? Any beaches I can drive on?

You might want to post up or ask the Arizona group as they have an event down there every year and can fill you in on where to go. I haven’t been to rocky point in years and know it has changed with a bunch of new up scale hotels and stuff.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I finally had a chance to sit down and read the new rules. Be careful what you ask for!
My cheese got moved again, right out of Legends into Challenger! Seems I have 12 too many CI to stay in Legends. That almost made me think I was going to catch the same cough that plagued Seventimechamp. But I took my vitamins and got a good nights sleep and feel fine now....
After mulling this all over for a few days and discussing it with my principals Randy and John I've decided to repair the damage to #66, make some improvements in the shock cooling and move on to Challenger for 2020 MK1. However, given that I advocated for changes to Pioneer to make it more attractive to the Early Bronco community, I've decided to put my time and money where my mouth is and build a new Bronco for that class. It's simply not feasible or desirable for me to rebuild #66 to meet those or the Legacy rules. I have what is a pretty ideal Bronco to build, an intact, minimal rust '68 that has a salvage title. As such I see no benefit in an expensive restoration. It is complete with a lot of original parts that a restorer would likely be able to use. More to come on this idea.
In the meantime it will be very interesting to see where everyone ends up for 2020. Either way we're looking forward to a great time in Baja in April!

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
There's a revision to the new rules coming out for the Pioneer class. Some strokers are allowed with one of them being the 302 stroked up to 347 (350 technically) and the 351 can be over bored to 363.

There will also be revisions to the general rules. One of them regarding transit speed limits @ 75mph and another is ncreasing the penalty for starting specials early to 10 min per minute you're early off the line. That could really add up!

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like we'll have EBs scattered all through the classes. I hope the new rules will encourage another Pioneer build!