• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP205 in Early Bronco - Front Driveshaft Fit Issue

Justinkurn

Hey Guys,

Has anyone experienced putting a NP205 Transfer case with a C6 transmission in an early bronco?

I had a front drive shaft made by Tom Woods but I am having clearance issues on the double cardan and the C6 transmission/pan.

I can't be the only one that has put this combo in so I was hoping someone had a solution. I was told to go conventional ujoint by a shop but I was not sure if my 3.5 inch lift will strain that too much. Any help is appreciated. I have pictures but I can't figure out how to upload them....

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Moving away from a double-cardan seems like an inherently bad idea, especially if you ever run at speed in 4WD. Can you notch the pan easily? How big of an interference are we talking here? Pics?

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
You are probably using a stock C-6 transfer case adapter, correct? If so, it sounds like you have the short version adapter which can cause this interference issue. Ordinarily that combination ran without a DC joint in full size trucks, but that was also with HP front axles.

You could try running without one, sounds like it may be your only option at this point, unless you swap adapters which would also involve tearing down the transmission to swap output shafts...and shorten your rear driveshaft.

brewchief

I'm running a C6 with the short adapter and a 205, I found a transfer case yoke from jb conversions that was slightly shorter then the standard 1310 cv yoke(5/8") so that helped and I ground away a bit of the corner of the case and pan for a touch more clearance.

I'm running a winters shifter and that took a bit more work to make work since the cable and mount bracket wanted to be in the exact same spot as the drive shaft.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk