• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil Pan Drain Plug......

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Drips, Leaks, whatever! For some reason mine continues to drip. Have a new gasket on there and she still drips. I don't wanna tighten it too much but this is getting a little frustrating. Funny thing is that it doesn't do it all the time it seems.

Any suggestions or anyone else with a similar problem. ;D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've seen a few with a hairline crack develop at the outer 'edge' of the circular area on the pan metal where the bolt and washer seat. Usually quite a small crack and well disguised by the edge of the work-hardened area and slight indentation that develop over many years of oil changes.

But if there is definitely no crack and you are using a fresh nylon washer to seal it...

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I've seen a few with a hairline crack develop at the outer 'edge' of the circular area on the pan metal where the bolt and washer seat. Usually quite a small crack and well disguised by the edge of the work-hardened area and slight indentation that develop over many years of oil changes.

But if there is definitely no crack and you are using a fresh nylon washer to seal it...

Hmmmm! I will have to take a closer look. %)

GubNi

Loc.
Northeast TN
Autozone has one that is a universal rubber style for stripped oil pans that works really good.

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
Try picking up a new plug from the parts store. I thought that I had stripped the threads on the pan after overtightening the plug to stop a drip. I pulled the plug and was pleasantly surprised to find the threads galled on the plug and not the pan. Threw on a new plug, snugged it up, and no more drip!

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys! I am gonna get a new plug! Hopefully that does the trick and cures the drips on this pan.

What about the type of washer to use anybody have a preference? I got the pack of 4 nylon washers 1/2" they have little ribs on them. Any good or garbage? :eek: