• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Passenger side sanden A/C compressor mount

BlazinCopper

Loc.
Jackson, TN
Anybody running a Sanden 508 A/C compressor on the passenger side? I have found a lot of brackets to mount it on the driver side, but I'm trying keep everything clean. I am probably going to have to fab up something, but wanted to see what everybody else was doing

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Mine is on the passenger side with a dual groove pulley. I have the standard dealer added bracket for a York compressor. I added a York to Sanden adapter plate and it fits nicely.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I don't have mine mounted yet but I have a passengers side setup. I looked and looked and everything seems to have moved to the drivers side which is cramped. I found some info buried on the vintage air website and came up with a part number of 15109-vfb. I called Vintage Air and the guy I talked to gave me a price of $130 and told me it was still available but they would have to cut the brackets, but the idler and all of the spacers and bolts were in stock. I called back 2 days later after I double checked that it was what I needed and another guy told me it was obsolete. After explaining to him that I had just been told 2 days before that they could make it and refusing to take "the computer says" as an answer they made me one. This was last fall, I found a 3 groove pulley either here or on ebay.

I also found a part number for a Bronco specific passengers side bracket at oldairproducts.com. Part #40-610R. I called them as well but don't remember how much it was.

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
I installed a Vintage Air unit, did not like the recommended driver's side installation and then installed on the passenger side for cleaner installation. I used a combination of the original York bracket, which was originally on the passenger side, and a saddle type bracket from a Mustang, I believe. I can dig out the receipts to identify part numbers, if you need.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
There is a problem though with using a third fan belt. It takes a three groove crank pulley. You'll have to move the fan further forward toward the radiator to clear the deeper pulley. Precious space, especially when you'll need a fan big enough to move enough air to keep the AC head pressure down at idle.
I was able to make it fit, but it's all pretty tight.

X2 on that. I have seen a couple of dealer installed air setups that used a longer fan spacer to clear the 3 groove crank pulley. I am running a clutch fan setup(the one that uses the Jag clutch)and from my measurements will have about 1/8" of clearance. That clearance is with an old cast iron 3 grove pulley, the aluminum one that the vendors sell now would not clear without one of the 1/8" spacers that goes between the water pump flange and the fan clutch. I am not sure why there is a difference but there is.

OP
OP
BlazinCopper

BlazinCopper

Loc.
Jackson, TN
Thanks guys, I have a three grove crank pulley on it. I have been looking at the vintage air bracket but cant find anyone who has it. Ill call Vintage in the morning and see if they can make me one.
Thanks for the replies - post some pics if you have them

I plan on running an electric fan so hopefully I won't have the clearance issues

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
BC BRONCOS had this lying around. Can't remember how much.

0b0cd3887f57b31360ca17cb7479e92d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BlazinCopper

BlazinCopper

Loc.
Jackson, TN
Update -- So I went with the Vintage air bracket - very happy with it. What crank pulley are ya'll using. I have a three grove pulley from a 1983 302, but I don't think its going to work.

Attachments

• 20160526_110810.jpg
    20160526_110810.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 141

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Update -- So I went with the Vintage air bracket - very happy with it. What crank pulley are ya'll using. I have a three grove pulley from a 1983 302, but I don't think its going to work.

Is the fan going to clear the compressor?
Look at the difference in the compressor position it your photo and that of Faster Eddie's. I think yours will need to move further to the passenger side.

OP
OP
BlazinCopper

BlazinCopper

Loc.
Jackson, TN
I plan on running an electric fan. Its mounted per the instructions, his is a BC Bronco Bracket. Definitely going to need an early Bronco 3 grove pulley. The 83 is too big in diameter. Anyone have an extra one laying around?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I have the aluminum 3 groove pulley from Tom's that is supposed to be identical to the cast iron pulley that was used for the Bronco. I am not using it as it interfered when I switched to a fan clutch, but it cleared the factory fan that was on the Bronco. I would be willing to part with it. I also have a cast iron pulley that is supposed to have come off of a Bronco and 4 groove from a '68 either Mustang or Cougar. There is a slight difference in spacing on the 3 and 4 groove iron pulleys. Not sure which I am going to run but the aluminum one is definitely out due to my fan clutch setup.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
My Sanden compressor is mounted in close like that and clears the fan just fine. I have much more clearance than I did with the old York compressor. Sanden clutches are a bit smaller in diameter and also do not stick out as much in front.
31b7e76eb41e343b28aae88137c58f64.jpg

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My Sanden compressor is mounted in close like that and clears the fan just fine. I have much more clearance than I did with the old York compressor. Sanden clutches are a bit smaller in diameter and also do not stick out as much in front.
31b7e76eb41e343b28aae88137c58f64.jpg

I like that setup much better than my BCB driver side bracket. What bracket are you using.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I like that setup much better than my BCB driver side bracket. What bracket are you using.

I'm using the original dealer added bracket with a Sanden adapter plate. The plate gives you some front to rear adjustment. It's pretty much a perfect fit right in front of the valve cover.
fcde4367c43c31687e3ba4d4c77565a4.jpg