• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering box suggestions

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
All of the vendors boxes are great. Superior to stock.

The 4x4x2 box which is an 80 to 96 4x4 steering box with 80 to 96 4x2 internals. Tuffest unit out there until you start talking about the companies that build up boxes for any racing purpose.

BC has a nice write up in their tech section to build your own 4x4x2 box.
WH has these boxes already modded.
This would be the heaviest duty unit you could run but as said before all of the vendors boxes are a huge improvement over OEM.
The OEM boxes are just the easiest install.
But the best things in life are rarely easy. Haha.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The 4x4x2 is a pre 79 f-150 or 78/79 bronco 4x4 box mixed with the 2wd internals from above. Some of the vendors sell em ready to go or you can do it yourself much cheaper.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
The 4x4x2 is a pre 79 f-150 or 78/79 bronco 4x4 box mixed with the 2wd internals from above. Some of the vendors sell em ready to go or you can do it yourself much cheaper.

Sorry...
Looking at this on my phone while my CPU is down.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
PSC or WTO will do it for approx $140, as long as nothing else needs fixing. Yours will fit in a $17 flat rate box just wrap it up very well so it won't leak. The USPS don't take too kindly to vehicle fluids. Yours will be shipped (with insurance) back in a very well foamed box via FedEx or ups.

Get yours rebuilt and resell it on here for $350-$400 to recoup some of your costs towards one of the vendors units. I think your stock gearbox is fine once it's rebuilt but that's my opinion. One upgrade I'd suggest is going to a Sagi pump especially if going to 35s.

OP
OP
A

Andyuofa83

Thank you for all the feedback. Sounds like I will be sending it to Texas. I hate to have so much down time during the rebuild process. Oh well!

Thanks again everyone.

OP
OP
A

Andyuofa83

Thank you Crawdad for the info. Saginaw it is! I have a baby due pretty soon so it may be a good time to ship it out.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
It took them about two weeks to get mine back to me. It's not bad, just inform them of you mailing yours in along with a note inside the shipping box.

hammer189

Loc.
South Atlanta
I used West Texas to rebuild my stock '76 box. Call and they will tell you the approx. turn around time. My total time was about 6 business days. Works great. David

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
A complete rebuild kit is less than $50 and I believe a seal kit is around $20. There's really nothing to 'wear out' or go bad in a steering box other than a little sector shaft wear. You could probably rebuild your box in your garage in less than 2 hours (that's taking your sweet time). Adjusting the sector shaft is fairly simple and only takes very minor adjustment. Your sloppy steering is likely a combination of worn track bar bushings, tie rod ends, drag link, loose wheel bearings, suspension bushings, ball joints.....

I'd have someone wiggle your steering wheel while you watched and felt the steering system up front to see just what's wrong.

If you want to have your box rebuilt, it might be worth an attempt to do it yourself, if it's still not right then send it off. Worse case your out a few bucks, but you could save a couple hundred or more and learn something new?

bronco 69

Loc.
Union
Scrap yard nissan frontier box jeep grand Cherokee sector shaft I have $111.00 in mine best upgrade!!