• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pre Build Planning Advice - New Member

Jmjuhl

Contributor
Loc.
Cypress, Texas
I have been kicking the idea of an EB frame off restoration around for a number of years and finally decided to move forward. I picked up a 74 off of a member here over the weekend and I am excited to get started. A little overwhelmed once I got it home and the realization of the undertaking set in but that is also kind of feeding the excitement. I know I am going to make some mistakes, get stuck, and have planned for budget overages along the way.

So in preparation for the undertaking I am trying to plan ahead as much as possible as I have limited work space...half of a big 2 car garage (2 car with a storage area behind it...technically considered a 3 car). Initially, I am just getting my garage space organized and cleaned up so I can best use the space I have before starting tear down. Also looking into renting a storage unit down the street to use as a staging/storage area for parts as I work through different phases of the build, and will also keep from pissing my very understanding wife off. My plan is to do as much of it myself as possible, and sub out if need be, or where it makes sense. Will do as much of the body prep as possible but ultimately with have a shop "check my work" and finish. So here are my initial questions mainly related to logistics...im sure many more to follow:

Tear down - I don't have a lift and can brace the body up and remove it with a few friends but due to space and wife constraints it cant sit in the garage for more than a few days while I strip the frame and get it blasted/coated. Was going to park it on a cart and put it in storage until I need it but open to ideas.

Bodywork - The flip side of that is I would really like to get the body blasted/stripped to see what I am working with underneath as that will drastically drive budget/timeline. It has been painted since original and looks to be in decent shape but I really want to get an idea of what is really hiding underneath. My fear is I strip it down and realize ordering an all new tub might be a feasible option and then I am stuck waiting. Is it worth paying to have it blasted and epoxy primed knowing it might sit in storage for a bit, or just start on it with the wire wheel/sanding to get an idea and have it blasted later?

Just thinking out loud and would appreciate any input.

Last edited:

helo-mech

I haven't gotten near a Frame-Off but everything, minus the soda blasting, has been done in the garage. I will tell you it filled up quickly. I have since moved on to having a storage unit. It has power so I use it for full time parking of the Bronco and as a shop.

Don't have any suggestions on whether to strip or go ahed and order a tub, other than to say if you are left with a good tub after stripping it would be a lot less money. I had my interior soda blasted at a place just inside the South 610 Loop.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 11.51.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 11.51.58 PM.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
welcome to the site and what i hopefully a most rewarding project for you. i sent you an email in the background with more details and some thoughts.

there is so much good information and folks happy to share here that you rarely need to go elsewhere to get answers to your problems.

drop a few bucks and become a contributor to post pics

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34373

and search, search search. there are many threads already complete with answers to just about every problem you will come across

welcome

Hank

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Welcome, congratulations on your new bronco. Plenty of help here as you go through the steps. We like pictures to go with your build.

If I'm not mistaken there is another new member, doing a frame off as well from Cypress???

If you have a place that can dip it close that might be a better option.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Single best advice, do not build your motor until you are ready to drive. Mine sat for 8 years. It works great, but still.

Next, buy or build the axles/tranny/transfer next to last. I have a leaking ARB locker I need to break open the 9 inch to repair, not happy. It was the first thing I rebuilt 14 years ago, then sat for 13 years.

Essentially, get the frame body electrical done, then fun stuff.

Dne007

Contributor
Yes, that would be me!

Welcome, congratulations on your new bronco. Plenty of help here as you go through the steps. We like pictures to go with your build.

If I'm not mistaken there is another new member, doing a frame off as well from Cypress???

If you have a place that can dip it close that might be a better option.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Single best advice, do not build your motor until you are ready to drive. Mine sat for 8 years. It works great, but still.

Next, buy or build the axles/tranny/transfer next to last. I have a leaking ARB locker I need to break open the 9 inch to repair, not happy. It was the first thing I rebuilt 14 years ago, then sat for 13 years.

Essentially, get the frame body electrical done, then fun stuff.

Great advice.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
oh I forgot place your orders on the phone so you can actually ask what is in stock or when it will be in stock, allot of stuff is in limbo these days.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
keep it running and enjoy it as you build. staring at it on stands for months gets old quickly and you WILL lose motivation.