• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pulling engine and Trans together or separate ?

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Going to swap the engine and Trans

Easier to pull them together or drop the Trans out the bottom first ?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Take the engine out first then the transmission out from underneath second.

My preferred method. You'll get a lot of different opinions.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
I pull engine, transmission, & transfer case all together. Put them all back the same way.

latrucker

Contributor
I pull engine, transmission, & transfer case all together. Put them all back the same way.
This is what I want to do but was told it wasn't possible. Seems so much easier. You have actually installed all 3 bolted together with no major problems?

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
I have pulled and installed all three together twice on my wife's Bronco during the build of hers. By far the easiest way imaginable. Why wrestle with that heavy stuff from underneath when you can have a tool do the heavy lifting for you?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I have pulled and installed all three together twice on my wife's Bronco during the build of hers. By far the easiest way imaginable. Why wrestle with that heavy stuff from underneath when you can have a tool do the heavy lifting for you?

No reason at all to wrestle with the heavy stuff underneath. Remove the engine and then you just lower or raise the transmission and t-case straight up or down as necessary. Much easier to do that than try to balance all three on an engine hoist and trapeze without scratching or damaging something.

Again, my preference and two cents. Everyone has a preferred way. I couldn't imagine trying to get all three out on a hoist over the core support. I don't think my hoist would even lift everything high enough.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
For me getting stuff to balance on the lift from below is always a challenge. Wants to roll over. Maybe my tyranny jack ain't the best.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
This is what I want to do but was told it wasn't possible. Seems so much easier. You have actually installed all 3 bolted together with no major problems?

The only thing you should do is remove your front tires. It lets the Broncos front end down very low and helps with the proper angle to pull all three at once. It is a little tight at the core support, but a nice thick piece of cardboard or a moving blanket to prevent from scratching the paint is all I do.

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
You might want to point out which engine\trans combo you're pulling, and confirm with the people posting comments. It would also be a good idea to know what they use for tools (drop trans from lift or do it on the ground, gantry or cherry picker etc...) If pulling all three together. A high quality cherry picker with long front legs would be on my list. I'm not sure it would be safe using a cheap box store lifts.

OP
OP
R

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
You might want to point out which engine\trans combo you're pulling, and confirm with the people posting comments. It would also be a good idea to know what they use for tools (drop trans from lift or do it on the ground, gantry or cherry picker etc...) If pulling all three together. A high quality cherry picker with long front legs would be on my list. I'm not sure it would be safe using a cheap box store lifts.

its a box store cherry picker,
I also have a trans jack and a floor jack,

I just cant see my picker going high enough to get the entire combo over the core support.

but I am swapping in a different NV3550 with the 351, so be alot easier to match them together out of the truck,

EB70

I just took a few days to pull a 302 out of my EB. We decided to pull the engine alone. I actually had my student pull it alone as he needs the experience and I was watching from a distance.

With everything unhooked and a short hook up on the picker, it came out almost instantaneously.

I haven't pulled the tranny yet. However, for an EB I would rather do the separate. Lots of opinions, but on this vehicle I think that is the way I would go.

FWIW-Rob

Broncobowsher

Total hack
All together
Box store cherry picker (HF before HF was selling them)
Only trick is a come-a-long between the transfer case and the hook to pick the tail up and over the grill.
Outside or in a tall garage
351/NP435/D20

If you really want to do them separate, prefit them outside the vehicle first. Get any issues resolved (like clutch alignment). Split them. And install.

I think my biggest issue was the engine mount didn't want to slip in. Had to remove the mount, get the package where it wanted to be, then install the engine mount. I was also using extreme mounts and was building my own crossmember for the 4R70W that time.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
- Box store picker set at longest reach
- I use a leveler and bolt two of the chains to the rear of the heads. That's a good pivot point to tilt the whole mess
- I only have 8' ceilings in my garage
- Bronco only had 30" tires, and they did not have to be aired down, or taken off
- First time had two friends that felt helping putting it back in. The second time I did the remove and replace all by myself
- One time was with 302/3 speed/dana 20, and the other time was 302/c4/dana 20

I have even pulled/replaced the big block out of a 68 F100 4x4 with 33's that I had in the in the garage. That combo felt a bit heavy for the box store lift! I still did not air down or take the tires off.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
If tounremove as a whole. Remove the tcase shifter. I did not and if created a problem. When i put back in indidnengine and trans then put the tcase in from below

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I did mine from underneath with a old scool trans jack,wasn't bad,then installed NV3550 and D20 combo,I think the ancient trans jack weighed more than the trans tcase combo lol.;D

latrucker

Contributor
The only thing you should do is remove your front tires. It lets the Broncos front end down very low and helps with the proper angle to pull all three at once. It is a little tight at the core support, but a nice thick piece of cardboard or a moving blanket to prevent from scratching the paint is all I do.
Thanks, my life just got a whole lot easier.

latrucker

Contributor
Has anyone installed all three bolted together with a 351, is it just as easy?

ryan97

Loc.
Richmond
I dropped tranny and TCase from underneath and pulled engine.
When re-installing, I installed engine and tranny together with a forklift with front end still intact (close fit) and then TCase from bottom

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Has anyone installed all three bolted together with a 351, is it just as easy?

Even with a NP435. No problem. Nice and easy.

Probably the worst was trying to remove the trans and transmission after then engine was out. The balance point is just about the crossmember. Really hard to hold the transmission up to get the crossmember out when the jack has to be under the crossmember to support the load. Not an issue with the engine in place, you can jack under the transmission or the transfer case while the bellhousing is bolted to the engine. Gives you room to install the crossmember, or get it out.