• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Questions about 4 point harnesses

Mike445z

I am looking at adding 4 point harnesses for the seats i just put in and was wondering if the floor mounted or roll bar mounted ones were better? Also some of the places I have looked dont specify where they mount, some say factory holes but i currently have the original lap belts. Thanks

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Welcome aboard! If your gona mount them to a roll cage then you need the hoops or the bar behind the seats. Most cages dont have that bar there. If it mounts to the floor then it would need a longer strap than if it went to a cage bar id think.

Im not a fan of 4 or 5 point harnesses. Too much crap to deal with getting in and out of the seats. Might be nice if running the baja to keep you from hitting your head on the top but on a daily driver to much BS for me.

Put them in if its what you wnat to do but im guessing that after a few months youll wish you never bought them! There not as cool as you might think, even in a muscle car!

Im not exactly sure on this but i dont think you want them mounted to the cage unless the seats are mounted to the cage also. No sense in having 4 point harness if the cage or seat detach from the body. What im trying to say is if your gona get that crazy about safety then do it right and build your cage with the seat bars as well as the harness bars. Or you doing it just for looks?%)

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I run four point and they work well. I used double shear tabs welded 4 on the floor for the laps and four on a crossbar behind the seats for the shoulders. I have two kids and the crossbar gets in the way as they transit the back seat through the front. Maybe should have gone with hoops instead. Also consider that hoops or a crossbar will limit your ability to recline the seat if it has that option.

Not sure if I would consider them necessary even when I am on the rocks as I usually find myself shimming out of one shoulder or the other to check out my surroundings.

OP
OP
M

Mike445z

Ok thanks, I want to add them because my new seats are taller and sit higher than the original seats and if I slam on the brakes or got into an accident my head would smash against the roll bar.