• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reinforcing frame for power steering

rojo23

Loc.
Ashland, VA
I have read through a couple of post on reinforcing your frame for the power steering gear box, but I am a little confused. I plan on using 5/16" plate to reinforce my frame on both sides of the frame rails. Will spacing the gear box 5/16" off the frame affect anything? It does not look like it should but just wanted to check. thanks for any help. Getting my box back from West Texas Offroad on Wednesday. Great turn around time, less than a week.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The frame is closer to 1/8" thick, possibly less. I used 3/16" plate to reinforce the frame and it seemed like overkill.

Ranchtruck

The thicker the plate you run the more the rag joint will rub on the inner fender and you'll have to clearance that.

What's even more important than plating the outside of the frame is pounding sleeves into the inside of the frame where the bolts go through. If you don't have sleeves between the two walls of the frame, the bolts will tend to crush the frame in. That lets the bolts loosen and the box works the frame back and forth until it cracks.

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My frame measures abit over, .140+ (9/64) abit thicker than 1/8". I think most reinforce with 3/16 or 1/4" on the inside side of the frame and use the sleeves/spacers on the inside of the frame.

You could also add a piece of angle on the inside side of the frame to the crossmember. Also seen a square plate with tube to the adjacent frame rail.

Using 3/16 is the next readily available standard size up from 1/8" so it is typical for frame repair.

OP
OP
R

rojo23

Loc.
Ashland, VA
well I have the 5/16" laying around. I was going to put the sleeves inside the frame. thanks for the input.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
well I have the 5/16" laying around. I was going to put the sleeves inside the frame. thanks for the input.

You can use the thick stuff on the engine side of the frame rail. Any width you add to the outside of the rail will cause you to shift the PS over that way, which puts even more stress on the frame.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I say what another 1/16"??? Most are made from 1/4" as are mine. If you have a adjustable drag link then you can easly recenter the pitman and steering wheel.

I will add that the different boxes use different rear bolt holes than my manual box uses. Not sure what box you have? I cut and bent in the cross member so in the future if i change boxes i can bolt straight through and not have to drill the holes at a stupid angle.

I knocked out the sheet metal inserts and put some DOM ones in there instead. The bottom ones are tight and stay in place. The top one kept dropping down so i drilled a small hole above it in the frame and tack welded it to keep it from dropping down.

Attachments

• IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1368.jpg
    IMG_1368.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1370.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 106

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I've always used 1/4" plate on both sides with DOM spacers to prevent crushing when torquing down the bolts.

I've never had any issues with that setup.