• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

remove trans to change radius arm mounts?

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Hey folks,

I am leaning towards removing the Duff adjustable radius arm brackets the PO installed and putting on stock replacements when I de-lift my 74.

Do I need to remove the trans to do so?

I know the trans wasn't removed to put the Duff units on (I know the PO), but reversing this looks different.

The original mount is still partially on the frame and will need to be ground/torched off. This is the part that is on the inside of the framerail. The PO just cut it flush with the frame,

I can get my fingers in there but I would imagine it would be very difficult to get a torch and grinder in there.

But...I could be very wrong. Please let me know what you are thinking.

Brett

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
The welds on those are pretty crappy. You could probably use a sawsall to get to the weld on the bolt head on the inside of the frame and cut the two side welds. If you get the bolt freed up and removed from the frame then you can use a chisel and a hammer on the bottom of the bracket and work it free and break the top weld on the frame. I hope that makes sense. I have removed them from a couple of mine like that in the past. Its slow and a pain in the butt. The outside of the frame is a lot easier.
Good luck however you end up doing it!

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I was able to remove my factory brackets with the trans and t-case in place. If I remember right I think I did need to get the exhaust out of the way first though. I was able to get small grinders and cut off wheels in there to grind the welds down enough to then knock them off with a sledge hammer.
probably actually would have been easier if I cut them down first like you said yours are, but I wanted to keep them intact.

you can see some of what I did to them HERE on my build thread towards the bottom of that page.