• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing body on 73 EB

EODMike

All,

I just got home with the Bronco I traded my brother for and want to start a frame off resto. It is in really good starting shape for sitting since 1997. I want to remove the body to clean up the frame, upgrade brakes, suspension, wiring, and steering. Also, doesn't run so I thought it would be easier to work on/pull the engine with the body off. I have watched body removal videos on youtube and know about needing to brace the body, but what steps are needed prior to that point?

1. Do I need to remove the front fenders?
2. Do I need to remove the dash?
3. I know all the engine wiring needs to be disconnected, but what other hoses, wires, etc?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

wookie650

I took off the doors, hood, top, and tailgate but left the fenders and dash on. I had already striped most of the other parts so it was just a tub basically. Make it as lite as possible to make it easier to lift and maneuver. Also, make sure you make a brace in the doorway to keep the tub from folding.

Make sure you remove body mounts and disconnect steering shaft, bake lines from master to h-block, e-brake cable, fuel tank hoses, grounds from body to frame, shifter linkage, evap lines from fuel tank(s), throttle linkage, I'm sure there is something I am missing that someone else will add.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Brake light harness disconnect at the driverside rear frame.
Disconnect tranny neutral switch and backup light at the firewall by the master cylinder. Disconnect the red plug behind the engine on the drivers side.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So if you plan a frame off restoration, you will want to remove everything eventually. it is so much easier to do what you need to do, see what you need to see, access what you need to access with everything removed. it is really not that difficult to take these trucks apart (take more pics than you think you need, get lots of zip lock baggies and sharpies for your fasteners etc)

if you dont want to do a full restoration, but more of a freshen up, then you can decide what your requirements are and adjust your plan accordingly

for me, even after taking everything apart, i still found little spots of rot just before i was ready to paint. this was several years after taking apart, replacing floors, etc I would have never found these spots with the dash still in for example

my $0.02.

Hank

OP
OP
EODMike

EODMike

Thank you. That's alot of stuff I hadn't been thinking about, but would have figured out the hard way. I appreciate your input. I have a template for bracing that looks pretty good.

OP
OP
EODMike

EODMike

Thanks y'all. I appreciate all the input. As this is my first Bronco I want to put things I learned with my last attempt at a full restoration ('65 Mustang Fastback), which didn't go too well, to my advantage. Fortunately there are a lot of youtube videos and other resources available now. Go slow and do it right is the most important thing I learned. That and have more money, lol.

Jfryjfry

A lot of pics, and overly detailed notes.

I would also write down the order that you take stuff off so you can reverse for assembly. It makes sense now but in a month or a year or more you might not remember that the drivers bent needs to go on after the firewall insulation or to put the pedal pivot rod in before the dash.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Take pics of everything! I removed fenders to make it easier, plus my frame needed some work at the PS box.

With the body off, it's a great time to clean and paint the engine, trans and TC if you can or want to. Also a great time for a new wiring harness. The dash is easy to remove so wiring is not hard.

OP
OP
EODMike

EODMike

Take pics of everything! I removed fenders to make it easier, plus my frame needed some work at the PS box.

With the body off, it's a great time to clean and paint the engine, trans and TC if you can or want to. Also a great time for a new wiring harness. The dash is easy to remove so wiring is not hard.

I wondered if I need to take the fenders and grill off. Plan on taking plenty of pictures, want to share with my brother who I got it from, but also for reference.

OP
OP
EODMike

EODMike

A lot of pics, and overly detailed notes.

I would also write down the order that you take stuff off so you can reverse for assembly. It makes sense now but in a month or a year or more you might not remember that the drivers bent needs to go on after the firewall insulation or to put the pedal pivot rod in before the dash.

Thank you for that advice, I would forget really soon.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
On my '74 I pretty much just removed the battery and made door opening supports. I don't run a top, doors or tailgate. I did pick the rear with an engine hoist in addition to the chain-fall hoist. As you lift, watch for anything still attached.

61VHo3ut3RpVDGxpERhRZFllsvgmNjBaq_FOf7DBdprD7H1UwHeRQIP_1AZ2Avqg3oA2HqZLvJ5ItmAWkge6dsROxPscsE4PPlj4PfBGf9AzkF3h0MEVemACWqTflIRSkN9lT-9CHe2WuomheJIrHzh1YZ6tz2egstgvNtNvZ0UyeGwj43pTf7GHu8ihQx-umdb2-uGDIsm-0zLAzSTH9OKNMo6T96iMyeY5GabG2DaQ_AEWJzCuf7FxgGWJkUDlIVOv0_yi5QooJKfU1_3u4pJ3MGLA5IHZciHPetTSjAGgv9uGBEFbu7MInGWlonsGCQZ84Nuoad54XZdc76iYdUuFQWvyjNboNbE2-VrUaqePwkq2p5AOztnjteeV4pGp3dMIXQkR7TJ3X123cFNM85lb5N8EBvByJxdi5Y0KmgGPptp0GazuYhgx-KqEVBwp9tA4nlnnZ4ywUHQ4WE-TB5_7BW-hez8OKJ9Lawdp2cQQKvXCgAjVLZwCo9c2Xo_9emb4MgQ-ddw7DsBkOF1a0EavB1TcWholy7yCBd7JeAuPey9Pb1-MmA3401B0lOqD3RansJHlrZrdmWZUwnD-wf4pnZ7sidN9-MKkIKarJQeaLCq0pmbrkXB8iESjNrUySnmHt9ISY0XGv2Cos2-mWfCvXoqvqH-H=w1590-h894-no

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mike,

Does your Bronco have a hard top currently installed? If so, simply leave the hard top attached when you remove the body and it will provide the stability that will make bracing unnecessary.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Here is what we made, it bolts to existing holes, and allows us to lift from above. A couple hours of work was worth it....

Attachments

• IMG_9394.jpg
    IMG_9394.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9396.jpg
    IMG_9396.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
EODMike

EODMike

Mike,

Does your Bronco have a hard top currently installed? If so, simply leave the hard top attached when you remove the body and it will provide the stability that will make bracing unnecessary.

It did. I have been on a roll this morning, so now it does not.