• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Repairing a urethane fender flare

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've decided to give my '74 some TLC. The driver side flare is cracked. A small piece is detached (I have the piece) close to the edge where one of the rivets held it into place.

It's a Duff model 1205 which is no longer available. The other 3 flares match, so I'd really like to keep this flare rather than replace all 4.

Does anyone have experience repairing these? I didn't know if a glue or epoxy would work, and if I could skim it with bondo and re-paint?

OR... does anyone have a 1205 flare they'd like to sell me? ;D

Attachments

• IMG_5358.jpg
    IMG_5358.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1067.jpg
    IMG_1067.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 61

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Can’t really see size of crack but several products I am trying on non Bronco farm repairs, including hot plastic stapler and construction hot glue gun. Maybe heat gun and strengthen flare underside. Good luck.

Lt1Burb

Por15 makes a 2 part resin product for repairing steering wheels, that is what I would use.

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
I live by 2 part epoxy. Rough up the inside of the flare Small grinding wheel etc and then lay in the 2 part epoxy and let it dry. After that is hardened then take the grinder to the crack from the outer edge to make a "V" Use more 2 part in the "V" and then you can use bondo etc to smooth it out.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Me it would be super glue after glue would be to rough up the back side and take some fiber glass fabric and super glue patch to reinforce the back side and spread the stress.

needsmoarturbo

I'd do a hybrid of the above. I'd vee the back and Stick it together with jb weld plastic welder and then put a fiberglass or thin aluminum patch over the crack about an inch on each side as a doubler

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thank you for all of the advise. I'll let you know how it turns out! The good thing is, the back side doesn't have to be pretty so I've got some give.