• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roll Bar Advice

Walter Hinz

Loc.
Cedar Grove, NJ
I am looking to buy a roll bar and wanted some advice.

I am not planning to do any off roading and will probably just drive around town, to the beach, and have some fun. However, I really wanted to get a decent roll bar, maybe a 6pt. Essentially Offroad has a great 6 pt. bar ($380 with handles) and will ship for only $90. But, I have to weld and paint it. I am a novice welder at best and only have Lincoln gasless MIG. So my question is could I weld an unassembled roll bar, paint it and have it be structurally sound and look good.

Are there any other good options out there? Used, new, fabricated? I live in NJ..

Thanks..

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I am a novice welder at best and only have Lincoln gasless MIG.

I'm assuming it's one of the small 110 models -- they're nice, but you don't want to use it to weld the roll bar together. Just hook up with a local welder -- when the roll bar arrives, drive it over and let him install/weld it together for you. It shouldn't cost much, and you'll be much happier with the results. And if he's a decent welder, he'll have some contacts for powdercoating -- you might want to let him weld it together (fitting it to your truck), but not mount it -- then take it to get it powdercoated and bring it back the the welder for install.

Just some thoughts -- good luck!

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
I would be a little skeptical of a cage for $380... what kind of tube do they use? DOM? hot or cold rolled? I would think there is at least $250 in materials cost..at least. at only $50/hr labor, they would have to make it in 2 hrs.. unlikely.

this is your safety.. dont skimp. Rolling on the street can be more dangerous (because of speed) than rolling on the trail.

MikeM

Loc.
No Cal
Usually fitting a cage kit together takes a lot of time. So take your time and get it how you want it and tack it together with your welder. Then take it out and bring it to an experienced welder. With it out of the vehicle it will be a much easier and quicker job.

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
you could cut/fit it to your truck and use your welder to tack the pieces together and then bring it to a pro to finish it up. that would save a huge amount in labor costs. or get one built already shipped from
http://www.ebgear.com/rollbars.htm

those are sweet cages and i think one will be going into the wife's dd once it is ready

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
For 99 percent of roll over issues that cage should suffice. I would urge you to tie the main hoop to the frame. Since you have to have a welder do the install it isnt a biggie for him as long as you take out the saddle tank first. Everyone says build a better bar, build a better cage. Where do you draw the line when we all run around with nascar spec cages? For a general cage you might look at BC Bronco roll tested cage and the video he has of it before you decide. As far as your welding equipment and ability, pass on this project, if a weld fails the tube end flailing about is right by your head. One thing to think about though a fully welded cage shipped to you is cheaper than hiring a professional to assemble the cage locally and put it in and take it out and paint it and put it back in again.

OP
OP
W

Walter Hinz

Loc.
Cedar Grove, NJ
Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like I am going to explore a few options:

1) Buy a good pre-welded roll bar (there are a few sources listed in the threads and it also looks like Jeff's and Potofab sell them)

2) Look for a good used roll cage . I have contacted Bronco Connection in NE to see if they have any. I could have bought a complete family cage last year for $200. Timing is everything.

3) I posted a thread in the looking for parts section.

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
1) DOM is better
2) Thicker walls is better than bigger diameter
3) Get a full family style or Halo that extends over the length of where passengers will sit
4) TIE IT TO THE FRAME (kits are available from vendors {I use one from CORE})
5) if you don't get it prewelded, take it to a pro, unless you are VERY sure of your ability. Since you can't just look at the inside to make sure the weld was perfect.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
my thoughts would also be:
if you can't weld it, more than likely you really won't do that good of job fitting it.
as a welder, i don't want to weld up someone elses cobbled up mess and have my name on it.
a pro shop will have liability involved and might pass for that reason.
if the joints are sloppy, they aren't as strong as a tight well fit joint.

sounds to me like you'd be better off buying a rtg package and just paint and install.
hth
nick

hawkgt

Loc.
Leesburg, VA
I have purchased a cage from Essentially Offroad and I was very happy with it. I had them bend up a custom cage and I assembled it. I haven't seen one of their "bronco" cages in person but it appears in the picture to be a descent cage and their other work has been good. I must caveat this with the fact that the business has changed hands since I purchased my cage from them so I don't know if they still have the same quality of product.

Ed74

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Sorry to intervene. Hawkgt, may I ask how much it cost for you to have a custom cage built? Did you have it shipped? If so, about how much does it run? I am located in CA and figure it will be costly. Additionally, do you have any pictures. I am interested to see where the base brackets attach to the tub/fender.

Thanks,
Ed