• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Saginaw pulley swap

Dandesjar

Does anyone know of a donor Saginaw pump that has the same sized shaft as the OEM power steering pump? I believe OEM is a 0.69” and the Wild Horses States all their pumps are 0.75”

I’d like to upgrade to a Saginaw but I have a really nice (and super-expensive) March aluminum pulley kit on my set up now and I’d really like to reuse the pulleys if I can.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Saginaw and Thompson have different size shafts and corresponding pulleys. They are not interchangeable in any configuration that I've ever come across. Two different manufacturers utilizing their own engineering and tolerances.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If the shaft for the Saginaw pump is larger than the OEM Ford pump can you get the pulley hole bored out to fit it?
Find a good machine shop, you want it to be wobble free when it is done.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I remember having this problem about 20 years ago.
I found that a single aluminum pulley for the Saginaw pump wasn't too expensive. Can't remember how much but remember being surprised at how cheap it was.

OP
OP
D

Dandesjar

Thanks guys, I guess I’ll just buy a new pulley.

Is the P Series the appropriate Saginaw pump for the Bronco application? I’m in Canada so it’s a lot easier to source a generic Saginaw pump from a parts store up here than have one shipped from one of the Bronco vendors in the US. Anyone have a list of Saginaw pumps that will work?

OP
OP
D

Dandesjar

Attac

Contributor
Does anyone know of a donor Saginaw pump that has the same sized shaft as the OEM power steering pump? I believe OEM is a 0.69” and the Wild Horses States all their pumps are 0.75”

I’d like to upgrade to a Saginaw but I have a really nice (and super-expensive) March aluminum pulley kit on my set up now and I’d really like to reuse the pulleys if I can.

When i put my March Performance set on my Bronco i was gonna put a saginaw pump on. They stated that their kit doesnt work with sag pumps. I take that it was because of the actual mounting of the pump not the pulley since they make these kits for GM vehicles so they had to have pulleys for them. If you have their bracketry then the sag pump may not fit.
Mine was serpentine kit
Chuck

OP
OP
D

Dandesjar

Yeah, the March kit won’t work with the Saginaw. It also won’t fit properly if you are using a mechanical fuel pump. I didn’t realize they had this disclaimer until it was too late... oh well. I’ve made it work for now but it’s an extremely tight fit and I’d like to Swap it out for a Saginaw pump anyway for better performance and better clearance. That’s why I’m interested in the CVF Saginaw bracket - it has a similar look to the March bracket and it’s not that much more than the Wild Horses bracket by the time I also order the WH tensioner and pay for shipping. Curious if anyone’s tried it?