• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Saving a 66’ Roadster

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Very cool project! Please keep us villagers posted! Howard in beautiful west Michigan
Well I'll put up a progress report . So it's been a cold snowy winter but I have managed to fill in some of the boredom with some small repairs . Got a '66 rear bumper from Gas Pig & I got it repaired but it needs sandblasted & seeing dry ground to do that nasty job outside is still a couple months out . Rebuilt & finished the heater box .... Lots of brain storming with Ken in between . Managed to get the Bronco back in the shop between storms & pull the engine & get it back into storage the same day before the next snow . Having a bit of a rodeo with that . Texas is a long way from Montana so he sourced an engine builder in Spokane that was willing to rebuild the original engine . Well 4 weeks later after a long 3 way phone call & they STILL haven't even provided a quote ! This is a big factor in my retirement , nobody wants to uphold their end & this shop is on my forever s##@ list . So just yesterday I had a conversation with a local engine builder & they were willing & thinks they can meet our time schedule ... & it's local so I can personally stay on top of it . I've opened the engine up some & other than being stuck , it's looks good . The shop said stuck engine , no problem , unstick them all the time . Soooo ,,,,, hopefully this has a good ending . I'm itching to get back after it but it really depends on weather . Typically the snow/ice breaks up by late March & that's when the Bronco will move back to the shop . If it would just warm up some there's plenty of loose stuff that I can work on .... time will tell ! That's it !

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well I'll put up a progress report . So it's been a cold snowy winter but I have managed to fill in some of the boredom with some small repairs . Got a '66 rear bumper from Gas Pig & I got it repaired but it needs sandblasted & seeing dry ground to do that nasty job outside is still a couple months out . Rebuilt & finished the heater box .... Lots of brain storming with Ken in between . Managed to get the Bronco back in the shop between storms & pull the engine & get it back into storage the same day before the next snow . Having a bit of a rodeo with that . Texas is a long way from Montana so he sourced an engine builder in Spokane that was willing to rebuild the original engine . Well 4 weeks later after a long 3 way phone call & they STILL haven't even provided a quote ! This is a big factor in my retirement , nobody wants to uphold their end & this shop is on my forever s##@ list . So just yesterday I had a conversation with a local engine builder & they were willing & thinks they can meet our time schedule ... & it's local so I can personally stay on top of it . I've opened the engine up some & other than being stuck , it's looks good . The shop said stuck engine , no problem , unstick them all the time . Soooo ,,,,, hopefully this has a good ending . I'm itching to get back after it but it really depends on weather . Typically the snow/ice breaks up by late March & that's when the Bronco will move back to the shop . If it would just warm up some there's plenty of loose stuff that I can work on .... time will tell ! That's it !

share them pics for sure.. I can imagine the weather out your way

OP
OP
kbooth5

kbooth5

Contributor
Loc.
Texas
Well, it’s about time for an update.

Steve had a heck of a winter, snow just would not let up, which kept the bronco in it’s winter hibernation longer than expected. I’ll let him fill you all in on his love for spring time snow ;)

True to form, he has been hard at work since wheeling the bronco back into his shop a few weeks ago. As it stands, the Bronco has had the following done:

- Tub patches are complete with fenders test fitted
- Body has been removed from the tub
- Driveline has been removed
- Full sandblast of the frame, axles, and gear boxes
- Sourced an original style seat cover just today
- Engine rebuild is COMPLETE!

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel taking shape. Long ways to go yet, as I will need to get the bench seat frame/springs I have rebuilt before installing the new seat foam and cover.

Starting to also make room in the garage for this finished gem. Officially listed my 24k mile 67’ F100 for sale so that the garage bay will be waiting for the Roadster at completion! If anyone is dying for an old pickup, DM me!

Attached are the latest pics to update our progress. So happy to be working with a pro like Steve on this, there are none better! Not sure where he finds all of his energy, but I’m hoping he shares his secret.

That’s all for now, catch yall up soon as the reassembly begins!

Attachments

• Resized_20230515_111432.jpeg
    Resized_20230515_111432.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 110
  • imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 100
  • imagejpeg_1.jpeg
    imagejpeg_1.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 93
  • imagejpeg_2.jpeg
    imagejpeg_2.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 89
  • imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 84
  • imagejpeg_1.jpeg
    imagejpeg_1.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 83
  • imagejpeg_2.jpeg
    imagejpeg_2.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 89
  • imagejpeg_1.jpeg
    imagejpeg_1.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 89
  • imagejpeg_2.jpeg
    imagejpeg_2.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 90
  • imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 111

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for updating! Progress is a great feeling and Steve has the experience to make it all happen!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well, it’s about time for an update.

Steve had a heck of a winter, snow just would not let up, which kept the bronco in it’s winter hibernation longer than expected. I’ll let him fill you all in on his love for spring time snow ;)

True to form, he has been hard at work since wheeling the bronco back into his shop a few weeks ago. As it stands, the Bronco has had the following done:

- Tub patches are complete with fenders test fitted
- Body has been removed from the tub
- Driveline has been removed
- Full sandblast of the frame, axles, and gear boxes
- Sourced an original style seat cover just today
- Engine rebuild is COMPLETE!

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel taking shape. Long ways to go yet, as I will need to get the bench seat frame/springs I have rebuilt before installing the new seat foam and cover.

Starting to also make room in the garage for this finished gem. Officially listed my 24k mile 67’ F100 for sale so that the garage bay will be waiting for the Roadster at completion! If anyone is dying for an old pickup, DM me!

Attached are the latest pics to update our progress. So happy to be working with a pro like Steve on this, there are none better! Not sure where he finds all of his energy, but I’m hoping he shares his secret.

That’s all for now, catch yall up soon as the reassembly begins!

That's awesome, thanks for sharing. Keep on pluggin away

OP
OP
kbooth5

kbooth5

Contributor
Loc.
Texas
Keep the updates coming! It's looking great!
Thanks! Should be some body updates next week!

Got the seat cover in for the bench, so now I am off to see if somebody in town can recondition the seat springs!

OP
OP
kbooth5

kbooth5

Contributor
Loc.
Texas
Well, another busy week. Steve has outdone himself again and the body has been stripped and the first stage of primer has been applied! Our pile of parts has started arriving at his door, including a new set of super traxion tires in 7.00-15, an oil pan, oil pickup, new flywheel, and other miscellaneous do-dads. Extra rims are on the way to replace a couple that weren’t salvageable. And I am due to send the jack and jacking hardware I found. Even picked up a spare roadster mirror, but it will probably stay a spare rather than add a second… haven’t decided yet, and I’m open to thoughts.

On my end, I stripped both old bench seats down that I have; a front from a 67’ and a rear from a 66’ with what is left of its original silver upholstery. We are planning to install a rear bench with correct silver upholstery, even though this was a bulkhead/bench roadster so that the kiddos can ride along.

I was in such a hurry I didn’t think to take pictures. The front bench is rough… lots of broken springs and rust, but the tracks move. The upholstery guy took a look at it before I got it over to sandblasting and claims he thinks he can repair/work with it…. I hope so!

Side note, finding somebody to do sandblasting was a real pain, but finally found a shop south of town that would take on the little project.

Got a seat cover in the correct silver matchstick a couple weeks back through the parts section here on the site, and even picked up a 67’ cover at the same time for my dad’s half cab!

As a bonus, I also found ANOTHER 66’ ROADSTER today. Picture to follow in a subsequent post. It’s sitting in a body shop in town, being rebuilt by the owner to be auctioned off for charity. He had no idea it was a roadster, as it came to him with a half cab top!

That’s all for now, more updates to come next week! Happy father’s day to all!

Attachments

• Resized_20230616_155252.jpeg
    Resized_20230616_155252.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Resized_20230616_155233.jpeg
    Resized_20230616_155233.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 39
  • Resized_20230616_155206.jpeg
    Resized_20230616_155206.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Resized_20230616_155445.jpeg
    Resized_20230616_155445.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
kbooth5

kbooth5

Contributor
Loc.
Texas
And here is the 66’ roadster I found today hiding in a local body shop. I just glanced long enough to see U13 on the tag on the driver’s kick panel, but didn’t think to take a photo of it for decoding later. I suppose I can go back if anybody us dying to see it.

Pretty funny that it is in about the same stage as our 66’ Roadster project up at Steve’s. I have a suspicion we get ours done first ;)

Attachments

• IMG_7263.jpeg
    IMG_7263.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 45

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
And here is the 66’ roadster I found today hiding in a local body shop. I just glanced long enough to see U13 on the tag on the driver’s kick panel, but didn’t think to take a photo of it for decoding later. I suppose I can go back if anybody us dying to see it.

Pretty funny that it is in about the same stage as our 66’ Roadster project up at Steve’s. I have a suspicion we get ours done first ;)
What? No vin intel? Yes I'm dying to see it lol. :) :)

OP
OP
kbooth5

kbooth5

Contributor
Loc.
Texas
Well, today was a big day! Steve started the painting of the small parts late last week, and today, the tub got its color!!

Really moving along now. Will be getting the seat in for upholstery this week or early next. Got a set of remanufactured 66’ arm rests on order for the rear bench we are installing as well!

Now the reassembly process begins!

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpeg
    imagejpeg_2.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 36
  • imagejpeg_1.jpeg
    imagejpeg_1.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 33
  • imagejpeg_2.jpeg
    imagejpeg_2.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 32
  • imagejpeg_1.jpeg