• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Saving a 66’ Roadster

OP
OP
kbooth5

kbooth5

Contributor
Loc.
Texas
Was planning to get these out yesterday, but time got away! Had an absolute BLAST finally meeting Steve and seeing where all the magic happened. Crazy having known him for 17 years and only just mow shaking his hand!

We made a weekend trip out of it, fishing different rivers and finally making our way to Steve’s place Sunday afternoon. So nice being out of the West Texas heat for a bit and soaking up the Montana landscape!

Man, words and pictures just cannot do justice to Steve’s work here. This is a true piece of art! Attached are a few photos. More to come, as our little red roadster is officially loaded and on its way to its new home in Maine! According to the registry, that will make it the only known roadster in the state!

Attachments

• IMG_8798.jpeg
    IMG_8798.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8805.jpeg
    IMG_8805.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8807.jpeg
    IMG_8807.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8808.jpeg
    IMG_8808.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8813.jpeg
    IMG_8813.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8812.jpeg
    IMG_8812.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8811.jpeg
    IMG_8811.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8810.jpeg
    IMG_8810.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8809.jpeg
    IMG_8809.jpeg
    344.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8814.jpeg
    IMG_8814.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
kbooth5

kbooth5

Contributor
Loc.
Texas
Some more photos. I have dozens still trapped on my camera, these were just the quick cell phone photos we all snagged

Attachments

• IMG_8828.jpeg
    IMG_8828.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8827.jpeg
    IMG_8827.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8826.jpeg
    IMG_8826.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8823.jpeg
    IMG_8823.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8822.jpeg
    IMG_8822.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8821.jpeg
    IMG_8821.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8820.jpeg
    IMG_8820.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8819.jpeg
    IMG_8819.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8817.jpeg
    IMG_8817.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8816.jpeg
    IMG_8816.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 61

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is what I talking about!! Awesome!

Steve proves that you don't have to have a million dollar shop to build beautiful Broncos!

Broncoblood

Contributor
Beautiful rig, another saved.
I assume its on the registry already?
take care of that beauty.
good job to both you and Steve

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was planning to get these out yesterday, but time got away! Had an absolute BLAST finally meeting Steve and seeing where all the magic happened. Crazy having known him for 17 years and only just mow shaking his hand!

We made a weekend trip out of it, fishing different rivers and finally making our way to Steve’s place Sunday afternoon. So nice being out of the West Texas heat for a bit and soaking up the Montana landscape!

Man, words and pictures just cannot do justice to Steve’s work here. This is a true piece of art! Attached are a few photos. More to come, as our little red roadster is officially loaded and on its way to its new home in Maine! According to the registry, that will make it the only known roadster in the state!

What a great trip, and talk about bringing home an awesome souvenir!! Congrats to all, bet the grins just couldn’t stop. Especially the one on the grill of that beautifully resurrected Roadster.....😁

OP
OP
kbooth5

kbooth5

Contributor
Loc.
Texas
Thank you all! Appreciate everyone following along! And yes, it has been added to the registry. More pics to come next week after it arrives in Maine and we spend a week touring the countryside with a wooden canoe in-tow!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well, Steve has been hard at it! Engine is back in the frame rails where it belongs, new fuel tank and exhaust installed, and the tub is officially back on the frame!

New tires looking great. Went with the Coker Tire 7.00x15

A little pricier than the Power Kings, but made in USA. Can’t wait to see how this week finishes up!

Coming together very nicely..

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Front bench is in, along with the Roadster inserts and floor mat! A few more things to tidy up before I finally lay eyes on her on Wednesday!

and I'm so slow. Too Nice. Congrats!

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Some more photos. I have dozens still trapped on my camera, these were just the quick cell phone photos we all snagged
So I read thru the entire thread last night ....wow nothing like condensing an entire year ! It was quite the journey and having Ken , his brother & Dad here for 3 hours was the icing on the cake . Seeing their joy & excitement over their new Bronco made the whole ordeal worth it . Thank you guys so much for entrusting me with your dream .
And an ordeal it was ! I've restored bodies in worse condition , I've restored Broncos with way more mechanical issues , just go down the shopping list of restoration issues ..... but this one combined them all in one ! 10 years ago it would of been just another restoration , a BIG one but just something to take in stride . But I "retired" in 2016 & have since only worked part time & just partial restorations . I've stuck mostly with body & paint & left the rest to the owner , has worked out great . Then along comes Ken with this U13 , which I have a soft spot for ..... :confused: The job actually went quite well tho I thought I'd never get it done . We didn't have any supply issues until almost the end ( it figures ) , & that was mostly my local parts vendors . Local auto parts stores have gone full retard , they almost never got anything right even when I stood there practically holding their hand . So yeah getting it up & finally running was nuts .
The local machine shop did a fantastic job on the 170 . Never been a 6 cyl fan , always have had SBF's . They saved the original stuck engine & it sounds and runs like no other 6 cyl I've ever drove . VERY pleased as I originally said I wanted no part of the engine restore !
So will I do another restoration .... nope ! Last one & done . I may take on some body restorations in the future but I'm still decompressing from this one . Check in next year ..... As a side note I let my web site "Big Sky Broncos" expire in July when it came up for renewal . I'm getting serious about this retirement stuff now ! ;) So once again THANKS Ken & family , it has been a pleasure & honor building this Bronco for you .

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Congrats on the beautiful rig and well done, Steve!

Todd Z.

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Steve, it looks like you ended on a great one and should be very pleased. Fantastic work and a fantastic little red U13! Congrats on the build being all finished up and ready to enjoy. That thing would be fun to drive around during the Maine fall...