• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Screwed Up! In tank fuel pump

Jaybr

Contributor
Finishing up my fuel tank and the last wire I was installing was the fuel pump ground. Sure enough, I over tightened and snapped the stud.

I know the right was is to take it apart and replace the stud, but since it’s grounded to the plate could I just run a ground wire off one of the mounting screws? Any concern of the broken stud loosening inside the tank?

5218caf12076c9c4cf360256133bbfcc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Guess I'll be pulling it apart this evening.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I did the same thing when I installed mine. Yes you can use any common ground that you can find on the tank

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Thinking about this I did take it back apart and fix it. Mine was welded really shitty.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Thinking about this I did take it back apart and fix it. Mine was welded really shitty.

If it’s welded I’ll just run the ground off another screw and save myself some time and headache. I assumed it was just a piece of threaded rod with ground connect on both sides.

I have another tank still in the box, I’ll look at that before I pull it back apart.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Thanks Bax

I just pulled the other one out and it’s indeed welded. I just put the ground under one of the mounting screws with a lock washer.

e60153a4c97f3493163b8bd533906b2b.jpg

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Very good. Glad you got it fixed