• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sick of the MSD box

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
MSD's have all kinds of issues there anolog boxes and tend to have issues most racers use dual boxes just because they tend to fail. I've seen enough fail that i would never put one on my daily driver. Also in mst cases you dont need fancy iginition boxes for your engine. If your running very high compression or some type of forced induction they they are a benefit otherwise a stock electronic igintion is fine.

>>>>> that's true.... the analog CD boxes seem to be not as reliable as the digital CD boxes......the only reason Nascar still uses dual analog boxes is because they are mandated to, otherwise they would also be using digital switching CD boxes......besides the most seen & marketed 6A MSD boxes, Crane cams(now restructuring under S&S cycles) also makes a analog box dedicated for nascar use while their other CD boxes are digital...... the Crane Hi-6 I have, purchased in the early 90's is in it's second vehicle & has been very reliable...though I still do have my duraspark box & coil onboard as a back up.....while really benefical for high compression & supercharged/turbos it also seems to improve throttle response & combustion from idle with these multi-spark Capacitive Discharge boxes if you have a little overlap from a bigger cam................

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
This is definately the way to go! And I will one day when I can afford it. But for now, 45 bucks to at least get it out of the driveway and on the road fits me best for the time being.

Well good luck with that. My main over all point is that sometimes a cheap part will endup costing more if it fails and wipes out the cam or you lose oil pressure then $45 isnt so much of a good deal. Not saying that a high dollar dizzy wont fail as well but its just those cheapy ones fail quite a bit more. Heck you can get a rebuild duraspark dist for $50 and it comes with a lifetime warennty at autozone.

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Well it is up and running and went in relatively easily. Now that I know this fixed it I cna look at the other options you all have provided. Truly appreciate the feed back. Actually going to go 5.0 I think and have the donor for that as well, but this does get me back on the road.

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
I bought a proform hei for my 302 was in only four weeks and the pick-up coil went out on the Tom's bronco parts cruise to Crater lake. Went back to stock dizzy with Pertronix ignitor and flamethrower coil.

proform anything is pure JUNK