• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Died... AGAIN! - I'm Sick of this Trash - EFI Conversion or BUST!

OP
OP
fdezone

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
Nothing about this hodgepodge set-up seems legit - a 5.8 truck lower with an adapter for a 5.0 car upper, Explorer throttle body, etc. no smooth transition anywhere. Oh we'll, I almost have all of the necessary parts.

15957674_large.jpg

5.8 to 5.0 manifold adapter, filter, ECM, wiring harness, throttle cable, etc.

15957673_large.jpg

I just need to pick up a distributor, high pressure fuel pump and lines, etc. Oh, and new valve covers, which sucks because I really like my "Bronco" script valve covers and hate buying shit I already own/owned!

OP
OP
fdezone

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
Did you guys cut off the brown (#31) connector to tap into 12V momentary/continuous power or go in-line? I've searched the RJM website to no avail and figured I'd ask before saying good-bye to it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350517514.245860.jpg

The parts store guy didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I was hoping to purchase its male counterpart and build off of that. I really want to fire this puppy up. Here's where I'm sitting...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350517559.460945.jpg

So far I've found the most challenging part to be figuring out where all of the vacuum lines go or if they can be plugged off.

6daze

So far I've found the most challenging part to be figuring out where all of the vacuum lines go or if they can be plugged off.

Have you read my build thread? I used explorer manifolds and tapped most of the vacuum lines. Don't use plastic caps. Do it right.

Link in my sig. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350547301.033743.jpg

OP
OP
fdezone

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
Nice build! (I'm always embarrassed to post pics of my junk.) I didn't realize you could "simply" pull those tubes out and tap the holes to accept a plug.

My lower intake and fuel rail came off an E-250 Econoline. My FPR sits right underneath the plenum and it's a very tight fit. I need to trim the end (nipple) off to get the hose on.

15989370_large.jpg

Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a hose that comes off the oil filler neck (breather) that goes to the TB.

From the upper intake, there's a small hose that goes to the FPR and there's supposed to be another hose that goes to the PCV, but where's the PCV and how is it routed? I'm accustomed to them being on the valve cover. What am I missing?

Once I get everything squared away and this beast running I'll clean the install up a bit. FWIW, I have a manual, no AC and no heater. My hydro-boost was interfering with the upper, but I should be able to resolve this issue with a tighter bend or 90* elbow off of the master cylinder (I really need to upgrade mine. It's pretty rough looking and I've seen some nice streamlined models.). The ARB air compressor also needs to find a new home.

Now back to wiring this puppy so I can fire her up. Should I cut the brown (#31) connector off or keep searching for its male counterpart and keep the integrity of the main wiring harness? Just need to make a few connections and I can make my first attempt.

Last edited:

6daze

Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a hose that comes off the oil filler neck (breather) that goes to the TB.

Yes, you have a "closed" crankcase with EFI.

I can't help with the PCV. My Explorer 302 lower manifold has the PCV at the rear of the manifold. Not sure (cant tell from your pic) if the 351 lower is the same.

OP
OP
fdezone

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
Moving on to the fuel lines. It may be naive of me, but it seems a little over complicated to have a supply line, low pressure pump, accumulator, high-pressure pump, return line, etc. Is all of this really necessary? That's a lot of externally mounted crap.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350827312.886721.jpg

I have a 23-gallon Northwest tank that's about 6-7 years old. It's not an EFI specific tank like the BCB or WH Sherman Tank. It doesn't have any AN fittings, so I'm trying to think of an economical way to work with what I have. What creative solutions have you guys come up with for the fuel system? (I really can't see myself paying another $600 on a new tank.)

I was hoping to drop my tank, clean it and install a fuel pump, an external filter, and T-off a return line. I'm a rookie at this so please shoot holes in my theory. I don't want to experience problems later on. What's working for you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
fdezone

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
Has anyone removed their external fuel pressure regulator and used an XJ, YJ or TJ in-tank fuel pump, which is internally regulated at approximately 46 psi? One pump - one line - DONE!

Last edited:

Nellybell

Fdezone,

I have the same tank. I filled full of water and cut a hole for an in tank pump. Used a Mustang HO pump and never had any fuel related problems after that. I also got an in tank pump mount from them. Sorry I did retain the Ford fuel line pressure regulator.

Best of luck,

Ted