• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sloppy Steering

gooch66

Loc.
Germantown, TN
I have a '75 with power steering, stock steering column. There is some wandering in the steering and I am not sure what to check. Alignment is good, steering stabilizer is tight, ball joints replaced about a year ago. Power steering has no leaks and fluid level is fine. Could this be the rag joint? What else should I look for?

Thanks

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
What else should I look for?

Could be anything steering related or a combination of things.

What lift if any do you have?

Best advice is, with the rig in park and or neutral and parking brake on, have someone turn the steering wheel left and right while you watch from under the rig. Look for things moving that shouldn't, flexing and slop. Frame, bushings, tie rods, Tbar mount, etc.

How much left to right movement do you have in the steering box before the wheels start to turn?

Tim

OP
OP
gooch66

gooch66

Loc.
Germantown, TN
Could be anything steering related or a combination of things.

What lift if any do you have?

Best advice is, with the rig in park and or neutral and parking brake on, have someone turn the steering wheel left and right while you watch from under the rig. Look for things moving that shouldn't, flexing and slop. Frame, bushings, tie rods, Tbar mount, etc.

How much left to right movement do you have in the steering box before the wheels start to turn?

Tim

Hey Tim,

I have a 3.5" lift with a 1" body lift. It takes about a quarter turn to straighten if it pulls to the side.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Track bar connection points (frame and axle) hdwr/bolt hole on bracketry and bushings? Radius arm bushings condition? X2 on the rag joint. Wheel bearings tight? Tie rod ends?

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
3.5" lift.... do you have long arms or radius arm drop brackets yet?
you could have slop in the linkage but that is easy to check with someone in the cab turning slightly from side to side while you look over everything. If it's tight then I would put money on not enough positive caster.
Positive Caster will force the tires to point straight when you drive down the road. I have two broncos and it took me a great deal of time and money before I added more caster that fixed all of the steering issues I had.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
x2 on a VERY CLOSE examination of the trackbar mounting points.
A slight wandering can be caused by even a tiny amount of play in the trackbar. Doing the test described above (with the tires fully on the ground) will allow you to visually inspect for movement in a bolt, a bracket, or a bushing. The lower bolts are known for cracking their little tack weld after 30 years and 100k miles;D so watch the lower mount closely.
If you're not sure about some movement, just put your finger on the mount and bar to see if you feel movement.
Yes, the bushings will move slightly, but if you have poly bushings there's not much inherent movement in them. So they should not skew your findings.

Paul