• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Some important info for those about to install a NV3550

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Yo my Bronco Brothers and Sisters

I just want to make sure mo one else screws up like me when doing the NV3550 trans swap.

When I did the swap this past November I went over to a friends place who own a Jeep and 4x4 shop. When we went to put the pilot bushing, or imput shaft bushing in, or whatever it is called. My friend just pressed it in flush to the flywheel, I can't really blame him, and I am not mad at him, since no one is perfect. I guess on the Jeeps the bushing is flush with the flywheel when pressed in all the way. However on a Ford the bearing is actually recessed about 1/8 of a inch into the flywheel.

Well about a week ago my Bronco started making a bad sound when you pushed the clutch in. I though maybee I just got a bad throw out bearring, so I ordered a new one, and just to be safe I called avanced addaptors and ordered a new Pilot bearing.

So today I went back to my friends place and we pulled the trans back out, and sure enough the Pilot bearing was messed up. After we removed it, I measured the hole it goes into, and it was clear the hole is deeper than the bearing. This time I pressed the bearing in myself, and sure enough the new bearing sits in close to 1/4 further than the old one.

Ondce everything was put back together, and I drove home, I now notice that it shifts better, makes no noises, and maybee has a little more power.

So just a word of caution if you are about to install a NV3550, make sure the Pilot bearing is seated all the way in. Lucky for me I didn't do any damage to the new transmision or clutch, but I was lucky nothing else happened.

So all is good now, but want to make sure no one else screws up like I did.

So be well my Bronco Bros

JeffBM

Thanks, that sounds like good information. I hope to swap to the 3550 one day.

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
Not sure I'm clear but are you saying the splines on the input shaft were pressing into the pilot bearing instead of having free movement?

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
The splines of the imput shaft were not into the bearing, but it looks like just before it necks up to the spline, it gets a little smaller before it gets bigger. Thats where the bearing was sitting. In other words the bearing was right at the transition begins.

So yes very close to the splines

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
That interesting. I suppose when you're mating itmes together that were never factory matches that anything can happen. Good information. I'll be putting a NV4500 in my Bronco pretty soon and keep this in mind.

jtd123

Loc.
merritt island
thanks for the warning i am doing the install right now and you prob just saved the day please send me your email address so i can email you 7 cases of beer!!!!!!!!