• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Third times a charm v3.0

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Happy one year anniversary!

$5k down, how much more to go? :)

Thanks! I have probably have another thousand in hardware and other local purchases. I think I have another $7k planned for this year. At that point I should be ready for bodywork.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Over the next few weeks I have the following to complete so I can drive the damn thing.

-Build the seat brackets for my new to me seats - DONE
-Rebuild the rear drums - DONE
-Rebuild the front calipers DONE
-Install adjustable proportioning block DONE
-Install stainless braided brake hoses from frame to axle DONE
-Install stainless braided caliper hoses DONE
-Install the BC soft top. Hoping my install goes smooth
-Install new upper and lower door seals from WH. Hope these fit well
-Install black chrome side mirrors

Drive it!!!!!!!:cool:

-Buy new wheels so the 1 ton GM TREs will fit
-Install GM 1 ton TREs and linkages

In a few months when I forget about the abuse my Bronco has dished out lately, I will work on the following:

-Move the axle back one inch with Ruff Stuff spring perches
-Install Ballistic Fab adjustable coil buckets so I can level it out
-Install ZF using BC’s kit.

The good thing is I have all of this in the garage waiting on me, except the wheels. Now I just need to find the time. Hopefully this weekend will be productive.

Last edited:

ahansen_1985

Bronco Guru
Loc.
amity, oregon
Third times a charm **upcomming projects** pg 9

One year ago today, I was pulling my Bronco home from Roseburg. I've completed a few upgrades and made a few changes in the past year. Checked my Excel spreadsheet and I've spent over $5000 in parts in the first year;D Lots more to do!

Great progress man! Your putting me to shame on all your getting done:)

1966 bronco, almost nothing factory

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Great progress man! Your putting me to shame on all your getting done:)

You're crazy! If anyone else said that I might believe them ;) You're the guy that builds a 4 link in a weekend. I can think of plenty of other things as well:D

ahansen_1985

Bronco Guru
Loc.
amity, oregon
Third times a charm **upcomming projects** pg 9

Well the 4link took 2 weekends with some wiring in there... It's really nothing special... Just a lot of focus and determination

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Nice list of work! Good luck with all that. Which seats are you going with?

I got to check out a BCB top today at Super Cel - it really is awesome! If you can get over the big price tag, I think you're going to love it. One tip I heard from the guy is to get a roll of foam to install over the framework before installing the top - this keeps the top tighter and eliminates most of the flapping/wind noise.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Nice list of work! Good luck with all that. Which seats are you going with?

I got to check out a BCB top today at Super Cel - it really is awesome! If you can get over the big price tag, I think you're going to love it. One tip I heard from the guy is to get a roll of foam to install over the framework before installing the top - this keeps the top tighter and eliminates most of the flapping/wind noise.

I went back and forth with my decision on the BC top for a few months before I made the phone call. I can't wait to get it on my Bronco. Thanks for the tip

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
-Build the seat brackets for my new to me seats - DONE

null_zps9d7279e4.jpg

null_zpsca4eba11.jpg

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Looks like the PO replaced the passenger side brakes only. The drivers side was much worse. Bearings and seals will be replaced tomorrow.

null_zpsbbd1c268.jpg

null_zps2375a5d4.jpg

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
-Rebuild the rear drums - DONE

Does this look correct? There are a few washers in the spring kit that I didn't use because I didn't take any off. Not sure where they would go.

null_zps4db45c6b.jpg

null_zpsed9bdae6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
-Rebuild the front calipers DONE
-Install stainless braided brake hoses from frame to axle DONE
-Install stainless braided caliper hoses DONE

New caliper, pads, rotors, Warn Premium Hubs, and the steal braided lines

null_zps7aef4d57.jpg

Do I have the calipers on correctly?

null_zps5f5d6eb0.jpg

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
They look good to me,but I'm no expert. I had trouble getting the front bled until I took a bungee and held down the high point on the brake hose. As soon as i did that pedal came up and has been good for almost 2 yrs now. Are you getting the brakes done before you tackle the BC top? Or you holding back on the eye candy?
Hey Jaromy LOOK!!!

Attachments

• IMG_9809.jpg
    IMG_9809.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 145
OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
They look good to me,but I'm no expert. I had trouble getting the front bled until I took a bungee and held down the high point on the brake hose. As soon as i did that pedal came up and has been good for almost 2 yrs now. Are you getting the brakes done before you tackle the BC top? Or you holding back on the eye candy?
Hey Jaromy LOOK!!!

Thanks for the tip Mike, I'll give it a try. I have to run the rear axle hard lines, install the adjustable proportioning valve and then figure out how I want to run the lines to it. After I bleed them out I'm hoping the brakes work properly. Then....BC top will be installed :)

Looking good! Is that the first time you've been topless?

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Yep,first time. But now I won't drive it to work or leave it anywhere for very long.I had a truck stolen years ago and I never got over it. Not that a hard top is much of a deterrent.
Are you working on it tomorrow? Maybe a drive by is in order...

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Yep,first time. But now I won't drive it to work or leave it anywhere for very long.I had a truck stolen years ago and I never got over it. Not that a hard top is much of a deterrent.
Are you working on it tomorrow? Maybe a drive by is in order...

I'm trying to shake this hangover :-[ I'm headed out to the garage soon. If you're in the area, stop by.

I've added a few things to mine that should slow the thieves down, but if someone wants it bad enough, I'm SOL

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Didn't someone promise they'd be installing a BCB soft top over the weekend? And, if that someone did like they promised, shouldn't they have posted photos of aforementioned installation already?!

:)

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Didn't someone promise they'd be installing a BCB soft top over the weekend? And, if that someone did like they promised, shouldn't they have posted photos of aforementioned installation already?!

:)

I do believe there was a promise made. The person that made the promise wasn't thinking clearly and had obviously forgot about the "while I'm at it" syndrome;D

I just got in from the garage and I'm head to toe in brake fluid. I went for a quick drive and I do believe the brakes are better with the recent upgrades. NOW...I'll focus on the soft top :p Wait, I want to sand blast my roll bar before I install the top. I don't want a crappy looking roll bar to take away from the awesomeness of the soft top.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Here is a small update for Ben ;D

null_zpsb6f25228.jpg

I have the frame together. I should have my rollbar back from the sandblaster today. I'll throw some paint at it and then finish the soft top install.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the update!

Here is my smart-ass response:

That looks awesome! It is going to work great....if you plan on driving your concrete garage floor around town. Otherwise, might I suggest you actually install it on your Bronco!!!

On a serious note, how does that rear bar adjust? It looks like it's bolted in place at the rear of the unit, so not sure what the adjustable sleeves/bolts are for?

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the update!

Here is my smart-ass response:

That looks awesome! It is going to work great....if you plan on driving your concrete garage floor around town. Otherwise, might I suggest you actually install it on your Bronco!!!

On a serious note, how does that rear bar adjust? It looks like it's bolted in place at the rear of the unit, so not sure what the adjustable sleeves/bolts are for?

My plan all along has always been garage art...I thought everyone knew that :)

I have the same thoughts as you. Not sure where the adjustment comes from. I'm hoping Chuck chimes in on the other post to explain. If not, I can always call.