• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Third times a charm v3.0

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Didn't make much progress on the top. I got the frame installed and put the canvas on. Having trouble getting the doors to fit in the frame correctly. I'll give it another shot tomorrow

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I was able to get it out of the garage today. I still need to work on the door fitment and try to get the canvas a little tighter. I hope the 70 degree weather today will help the canvas

null_zps3d01493e.jpg

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
New stainless lift off hinges to help with the soft top install. I don't have the gaps perfect yet.

null_zpsc5b9d925.jpg

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Were you having door alignment trouble originally? Were the pins/bushings wore and needed replaced? Or did you just did to adjust the doors to fit the soft top?

I've got my doors fitted pretty nicely to the hardtop. Wouldn't be too excited if the soft top needed them changed around. I guess it's hard to have your cake and eat it too...

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Were you having door alignment trouble originally? Were the pins/bushings wore and needed replaced? Or did you just did to adjust the doors to fit the soft top?

I've got my doors fitted pretty nicely to the hardtop. Wouldn't be too excited if the soft top needed them changed around. I guess it's hard to have your cake and eat it too...

My door gaps weren't perfect with my hard top, but they would open and close without issue. I think the tolerances are tighter with the soft top frame. I figured the new hinges would take away any doubt that the issues I'm having are due to 36 year old hinges.

I'm working with Chuck right now on some of my issues. He game me a few suggestions so I'll give them a try and report back.

I'm sure I could have purchased a pin replacement kit, but I like to install the parts I want if I'm making a change. It gets expensive, but I think it will show when I can this thing on the road.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Couple of before/after shots of the engine bay. Not done yet, but it's a start.

null_zps5d9fb0d8.jpg

null_zps2ba14e5e.jpg

null_zps2a9c50e3.jpg

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Absolutely love the before and after pictures. Job very well done! Very clean.... and the shots of your truck from the outside are astounding! Again job well done! Keep it up!

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
The engine cleanup just upped the value of your sweet rig by a couple grand. Looking good.

Absolutely love the before and after pictures. Job very well done! Very clean.... and the shots of your truck from the outside are astounding! Again job well done! Keep it up!

Thank you! I can still remember saying "where do I start...this thing is a mess" the first time I opened the hood. It took awhile to get to this point and I still have lots to do, but I'm happy with the progress.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru

I owe the sweet looking HB setup to you and your web sight.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
My plan all along has always been garage art...I thought everyone knew that :)

I have the same thoughts as you. Not sure where the adjustment comes from. I'm hoping Chuck chimes in on the other post to explain. If not, I can always call.
The last bow is held by 2 bolts on each side. Put only the front bolt in when you install the rear bow. After the canvas is on attach the adjuster on each side and slide the rear bow back to adjust the canvas. Then install the 2ed bolt. Be sure to have the upper door area adjusted before adjusting the rear bow. You can see the rear bow and 2 bolts installed in the above picture.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
The last bow is held by 2 bolts on each side. Put only the front bolt in when you install the rear bow. After the canvas is on attach the adjuster on each side and slide the rear bow back to adjust the canvas. Then install the 2ed bolt. Be sure to have the upper door area adjusted before adjusting the rear bow. You can see the rear bow and 2 bolts installed in the above picture.

Thanks Chuck! I'll follow these steps when I install the canvas again. I'm getting the doors to fit and then I'll try the canvas again. I'll give you a call when I'm done with that step.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Top is lookin good! Saw one at BYOB and it is a nice and sturdy top for sure. It looks pretty cool as well! ;D

The engine bay area came out really nice! Great Job!!!!

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Top is lookin good! Saw one at BYOB and it is a nice and sturdy top for sure. It looks pretty cool as well! ;D

The engine bay area came out really nice! Great Job!!!!

Thanks. I think some Special Decor stripes would set it off real nice ;)

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Got started on the rear axle. Pushing it back 1 inch so my tires stay out of my fenders.

6A646275-9E20-47EB-89D9-E9AC688663F2-17382-00001D61369F4F29_zpsc44fd325.jpg

D9459871-A0E3-492C-8021-3AC33CA61E11-17354-00001D5FC17694DE_zpsd197e506.jpg

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I'm looking forward to you doing this upgrade, please take lots of pics! I got one question though. Couldn't you just drill another equal size hole one inch back from the original hole on the spring pad? I'm curious how the U bolts will line up when the axle is pushed back.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I'm looking forward to you doing this upgrade, please take lots of pics! I got one question though. Couldn't you just drill another equal size hole one inch back from the original hole on the spring pad? I'm curious how the U bolts will line up when the axle is pushed back.

My pinion angle isn't correct so I'm rotating that as well. I have the Ruffstuff perches, top plates and U bolts so I won't have an issue.

Krawlin5

Are you going to have to move your tank back? I have perches to go on mine but I have about and inch of clearance between tank and axle but I have a 23 gal tank.