• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Truck wont start

josimps2

Truck was running fine. Sat for a month. Came back and wouldnt crank. Put in a new battery and a new starter solenoid. Lights work, but the vehicle still wont crank. It wont even turn over or anything. Where is the problem?

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
With a volt meter verify voltage to the starter solenoid. If yes,Check the cable to the starter for voltage drop (bad cable). If checks out good...Then I would jump the starter solenoid to see if then it will turn over. (key in run position)

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Truck was running fine. Sat for a month. Came back and wouldnt crank. Put in a new battery and a new starter solenoid. Lights work, but the vehicle still wont crank. It wont even turn over or anything. Where is the problem?

If this is a big problem for you, maybe you should take it to Pep Boys.%)

godevil

Loc.
Mt Pleasant
blubuckaroo,
What an informative,helpful post. As a new member to this site I would like to be the first to say that I hope you are kidding,it is impossable to type sarcasticly and sometimes things sound harsh when they really were not meant that way. Hopefully that is the case here.

josimps2,
try arcing the solinoid.You might try rapping on the side of the starter lightly with a deadblow hammer.Good luck.

BG's 68 Bronco

Assuming the new selonoid and wiring is all good the ignition switch may be toast.

And uhh, Blubuckaroo obviously you know the answer, so instead of writing a smart ace comment... please fill us in.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, if it is an automatic try wiggling the shifter between park and drive while holding the key in "start". Could be a nuetral start switch not working right.

Do you get a heavy "clunk" when you try for start? Yes is the solenoid is working. At that point it is a bad solenoid (internial contacts) starter cable, starter, ground or a siezed engine, maybe something else that I can't think of.

No clunk, turn the headlights on. Try to start it. Do the headlights stay at full brightenss?
Yes, Solenoid isn't working. Bad ground, bad wire, bad ignition switch, bad solenoid.
No, bad batery connections, bad battery, bad ground/cables.

Test light and check for voltage drop in the loop will show what isn't allowing the current flow. Consider the starter curcit to be a loop starting and ending at the battery. If there is an open in the curcit there is a full 12V potential across that problem. For this to work you need a helper to hold the key in the start position (providing you here the solenoid click in). Place the ground of the test light on the negative terminal of the battery and start probing the connections from the positive terminal of the battery all the way to the starter and the ground cable back to the battery.
Bright light you have a full 12V and you have not come to the open yet. when you get to the point that the light goes out you found your open. You have 12V on one side and nothing on the other. Fix the open (bad part, corrosion on terminal, whatever) and it should work.

Examples:

light on the positive battey post but none on the positive battery clamp, bad connection between the post and clamp. Clean and tighten,

Light on the battery cable bolted to the solenoid but no light when touching the solenoid post. Bad connection for the cable to the solenoid.

Light on at the terminal on the starter, starter case has no light, bad starter

Light on at the starter case, bad ground. The whole engine at +12V. Follow the starter to the battery cable and keep checking until the light goes out. That is when the ground is restored. get the ground to the starter and it should work.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Make sure the two small wires on your solinoid are not crossed/ or swapped.

Blue71

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Assuming the new selonoid and wiring is all good the ignition switch may be toast.

And uhh, Blubuckaroo obviously you know the answer, so instead of writing a smart ace comment... please fill us in.

Owning an old car isn't for everyone. But again you have to start learning somewhere. I guess I should taste my oun words before I post them. Seems I'm making as many apologies as helpful comments.

LouB

Loc.
St. Louis
Broncobowsher hit all the points, particulary:
No clunk, turn the headlights on. Try to start it. Do the headlights stay at full brightenss?
Yes, Solenoid isn't working. Bad ground, bad wire, bad ignition switch, bad solenoid.
No, bad batery connections, bad battery, bad ground/cables.
he must be a mechanic.

I worked in a service station in the 70s and can't tell you how important clean battery terminals are. I have seen many many cases where the vehicle acted the same and although the terminal look good, there is some sort of buildup between the post and clamp that causes you symptoms. Also; if you have the replacement cable clamps there may be the same problem there.