• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Unknown Gas Cap Replacement

msommer001

I lost my gas cap for my 77 bronco. I tried to find a replacement but the filler neck used is not the original neck because the OEM gas cap does not work, it is not deep enough to turn. I also tried a 76 gas cap and it is not deep enough either.

Is there a way to size the gas cap, to ensure it is the right depth for the neck. I am going to get under there and see it I can find a stamped part number on the current neck but I don’t think that is likely.

I am also open to upgrading to a cool aluminum ring and cap if you have any luck with a particular one.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What tells you that the filler neck is not original?
Because it’s a 77 it’s behind the gas door still, correct? If so there’s not much else that’s going to fit in there I would think.
At least not without modification that would be obvious.

But if it has been modded and is not using the stock opening, then a '77-only cap is no longer going to fit anyway, and you should try a '71-76 cap next instead.

Are you sure that you’re getting the correct cap for the '77 in the first place though, and not just the 71 and later Broncos?
Where are you getting yours? Do they list it as '77 only? If so, then like I mentioned I would try an earlier model.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Let us know if you find what you're looking for

OP
OP
msommer001

msommer001

I ordered the late 76 cap with the longer reach. Should be here today or tomorrow and I will let you all know how it fits.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk