• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Unknown hydro boost. Question update!?!

joshua

Contributor
New Question….
So im ditching this system featured below the old news. New route is, Guy is parting out a 1997 Astro van. I’ve tried searching but I can’t seem to come up with a list of what I should pull off this van. If anyone knows of a specific thread or can type a list up that would get me closer to putting this 20yr paperweight back on the road.
Thanks

Old news….
I bought this off a member shipped to my door for under a 100 bucks almost year ago. Catch is he didn’t know anything about it or what it was off. But it was hooked to an eb bracket so I figured it would work. Cheap to gamble.

Fast forward to the present and I’m finally trying to put this truck together before the thaw, so I’m digging through my hoard trying to figure what I’m gonna use.

Is this a good unit? Well not my specific one, but this model. And more importantly am I missing anything? On hydro systems it seems there’s a little cylinder always protruding out the front or side. And most importantly what is it off so can get parts and info on it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3968.jpeg
    IMG_3968.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3969.jpeg
    IMG_3969.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3970.jpeg
    IMG_3970.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3971.jpeg
    IMG_3971.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3972.jpeg
    IMG_3972.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've done a lot of different hboost conversions and I do not recognize that unit. You are correct...I've always seen the (usually yellow) aluminum accumulator sticking out one side. That model must have one built internally...?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
With no solid evidence, I think that is from the 70's. When they were first used.
And some sort of GM guessing from that number on the master cylinder. I did a search and the number I can’t see might be a 3 (that’s all that comes up).

I can’t read the numbers on the Hydroboost but a search might come up with something if you can.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
This is all I can find. It appears to be this but I can’t click on anything to get more information

Attachments

• IMG_3973.png
    IMG_3973.png
    499 KB · Views: 24

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
I’m guessing a 1970’s GM truck. Definitely early model since it lacks an accumulator. It’ll work fine but you won’t have power assist at all if the engine stalls. The later models with the accumulator allow a press or two with assist.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
As others have said, 70s GM unit. I've pulled at least two of these at the local junkyard over the years. One was from a Pontiac Parisienne station wagon. I can't recall what the other was off of.

The MC on yours is also a GM style.

I've always been advised to avoid using the units without the reservoir for safety reasons - the reservoir allows a couple of uses of the brake pedal if you lose power steering.

The guys who bought the two I had wanted them for clearance issues without the reservoir. You may have bought one that I pulled years ago from another user her who bought it from me. Wouldn't that be a crazy coincidence?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That's a unit with an internal accumulator. We used to use those back in the day before we figured out that we could use the units with the external accumulator by just rotating the units for the proper clearance.

I used one in my first conversion back around the turn of the century. GM/Cadillac started using them in 1980 and they were referred to as "Hydroboost II". The accumulator/power piston are combined into a concentric unit. I think we used to pull them from Cadillac Eldorados with diesel engines.

Many years ago when I was working with Paul from Hydratech on a project, he mentioned that he had talked with the inventor of these units with the internal accumulator and he admitted to Paul that they weren't a great idea.

I'd look for a more modern booster myself.

Todd Z.

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Even if you don't want to use that hydroboost, I think you came out ok. You have the angle bracket, and a Saginaw pump with what appears to be the bracket for it.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Ya I’ll try and find another unit. Might just get a vacuum booster 😭 And if anyone knows what year Astro van is the smoothest swap lmk. And I searched, which I really must suck at. But I can’t find a tech article on the Astro install. I’m sure there’s a detailed one but I can’t find it.

Also I pulled apart a 2006 f250 And saved the hydroboost until. Is that swap a nightmare?

catfan

Contributor
Ya I’ll try and find another unit. Might just get a vacuum booster 😭 And if anyone knows what year Astro van is the smoothest swap lmk. And I searched, which I really must suck at. But I can’t find a tech article on the Astro install. I’m sure there’s a detailed one but I can’t find it.

Also I pulled apart a 2006 f250 And saved the hydroboost until. Is that swap a nightmare?
Be hard to use on the angle bracket unless you shorten the push rod , bolted to the firewall the push rod will
hook up I believe.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Changed direction as follows at the top of post one. Just didn’t want to muck up the search process any more than I already have over the years for people.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
New Question….
So im ditching this system featured below the old news. New route is, Guy is parting out a 1997 Astro van. I’ve tried searching but I can’t seem to come up with a list of what I should pull off this van. If anyone knows of a specific thread or can type a list up that would get me closer to putting this 20yr paperweight back on the road.
Thanks
If you're still looking to use an Astro hydroboost on an angled bracket, you'll want a '95-older unit with the shorter pushrod. Tons of info in this old thread:

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/hydroboost-101.131746/

Todd Z.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor

catfan

Contributor
Perfect! Trying to decide on what to do and this helps. I found a 97 for 30 bucks. But might just keep looking if the earlier ones are a smoother install

Thanks!
Does that one have the angled mounting plate on it?

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, mine had a 1/4" steel flat plate to mount right to the firewall. I have to grind more off the make it angle slightly more. Seems to be best for carb as I am doing EFI.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Does that one have the angled mounting plate on it?
The bronco vacuum booster angle plate or the hydroboost unit on the 97 Astro? I’m keeping the bronco angle plate if that’s what you’re getting at.

I have not seen what the Astros booster looks like. Just an ad saying he’s parting it out