• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Weird Grant/Tom's wheel horn issue

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
This one is a noodle scratcher.
I'm getting a strange intermittent horn blow with a Grant horn button (Tom's wheel). It is only occasionally when turning and it is not grounding out or sparking, but the horn sounds. I've pulled the wheel off and don't see anything out of the ordinary. This happened to anyone before?

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Mine is the opposite, you have to push the button while turning the wheel to get it to blow.

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Have you called them and asked for help? Lonnie walked me through my install so the horn would work, as I was having a hard time with it. My horn works perfect now thanks to the help.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I fixed mine by making a jumper wire across the rubber joint between the upper and lower steering shafts. The steering wheel and upper shaft do not have any good grounds.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have Toms Wheel and the horn has only worked once. It was buy mistake when I was putting it together. I could never get it to work.

jsnouffer

Contributor
horn button modification

Did you make the modification to the horn button if applicable?

Attachments

• horn button mod.jpg
    horn button mod.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 75

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.

check the modification, or else you have a bare spot on a wire somewhere. Thats the only way the horn will honk is the grounding of the wire and it moves around making intermittent contact as you turn the wheel.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I never saw those instructions? I guess I will take it apart again and see what I can do.

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Yep. First thing Tom's asked when I called. Great support from Tom's as usual. I think one of the horn springs in the turn signal switch was a little loose causing contact, but I'll know in a few here. :)

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
HAPPENED to me last year at the round up. hit one good bump and the horn would sound on every cut of the wheel...

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Still waiting for the fax instruction sheet from Tom's, but I think I got everything as it should be. I put some extra electrical tape (as insurance) through the "feed through" on the cast aluminum mounting piece. I think it was Matt at Tom's too (thanks guys) that said make sure the turn signal switch (with the two original horn spring contacts) is nice and firm (no flexing with contact springs are depressed). I said I could move mine a little and put some electric tape behind them to firm them up. Seem to work great. Need to test drive when is stops raining and want to get some hardened steel allen head bolts if I can for the wheel. I noticed the heads on the stock aluminum ones will strip will easy even as this wheel has only been removed for the first time since the install. *Anti seize strongly recommended on those bolts. But I think a deep head and steel or stainless would be the trick.

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I'm so tired of messing with mine... I may just run it to a button on the dash!

It went off on me one day while driving around town. Had to pull over, pop the hood and yank the hoses from the air horn.

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Mine has been on my dash for years with my '72. ;D
Never had luck with the Grants, but I'm determined to get this one going for a local party. I told them the pitfalls of leaving the stock wheel, but I know it can be done...maybe. ;)

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I was good to go do it until you started striping threads. My truck hates me so if I try and and fix it will strip for sure.

Bronco_Joe

Loc.
Whittier
I have a 1967 Bronco and I'm Installing a new Steering wheel today and was wondering if I leave the Spring on the shaft that was behind the original steering wheel with the new adapter?
Also, I was looking at my horn wires, The inside connector (blue/White) is missing it's contact spring and the other (Yellow) was bent but I was able to fix that one. Anyway to fix this without having to buy a new Turn Signal harness.