• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welder advice needed

Brady

Loc.
Raleigh, N.C.
I have a two part welder question. Part 1) Home Depot has the Lincoln Electric Weld-Pak 3200HD on sale for $355. Is this a good price? Part 2) Will this welder do the things I would need a welder for on a Bronco project that my Miller Bobcat stick welder is too big/hot for? As always I appreciate the advice and input.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Yes, it will do fine for you. I used a nearly identical one from Lowes...its not a "weld pak" but its basically identical just badged differently for Lowes vs HD. Get a gas bottle and run mild steel wire for the body stuff and some of the frame stuff. If you are going to weld on thicker pieces use the fluxcore wire (no gas)....but you probably already know that. Have fun.

bigbri69

Loc.
tomsriver
i bought the weld pak 175hd.its 220 volt and it dose everything on my bronco.it has done everything i ever needed.im running gas with it i never ran a flux core.three of my friends are welders and thay all told me to run gas and not to bother with flux core.gas is such a cleaner weld from what i have seen.i say run gas and you will be good to go.i welded a hitch on my buddys chevy frame and he has bin YANKED out of mud holes by other trucks and it is still on the frame.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
I use that exact welder. The cart that comes with it sucks and only holds a 5lb bottle, but a new cart made a good project for me to get used to the welder. I used the baseplate from the cart that it comes with as the main baseplate in the cart I made (so I can easily unbolt the welder from the cart just like stock)

I use mix gas with mine w/80 lb bottle. It works great.

bighorn

x3 on the gas. If you mess with flux core you'll hate it..... if you setup it up with gas, you'll be looking everywhere in the garage for something else to weld :)

nysledge

Loc.
Greensboro NC
That is a very good price also. I recently sent a friend to HD who was looking for a welder and he bought the 3200. I have one also that I bought a few years ago and I think I spent about $450 for it

OP
OP
B

Brady

Loc.
Raleigh, N.C.
Would any of y'all that are using this welder use it for welding a roll bar together? I think that's the heaviest thing I'm going to need to weld. Just to clarify I mean assembling the roll bar, I will be bolting it down.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Great for a portable 120V welder with fluxcore wire, You can take it anywhere to do minor repairs or welding up a small project. I have built fences and gates for a friend to keep her dogs in. Being able to plug it in anywhere has it's advantages and the fluxcore wire is easy burning through surface rust.

For a garage base welder, go bigger 220v with gas. You mention that you are starting up so $355. is a great price to start with and get the feel of it. You can always upgrade as you get better.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Would any of y'all that are using this welder use it for welding a roll bar together? I think that's the heaviest thing I'm going to need to weld. Just to clarify I mean assembling the roll bar, I will be bolting it down.

I've used it to weld everything together on my truck, used a similar one on my friends and it's held together just fine. (Take a look at my build thread to see - I'm going to abuse the hell out of this thing when it's done. I've got high confidence in the welds.)

Rollbar tubing is typically 0.120 (1/8") and these will weld that just fine.

I think I paid $450 for mine. That's a good price.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
The only thing to be aware of with Home Depot and Lowes branded Lincoln welders, is that Lincoln will not actually warranty or help you with these units. They are built to the superstore specs' and therefore any issues with the welders are dealt with through the superstore you bought it at, not Lincoln. I looked into this before I bought a Miller, and I had 2 different Lincoln dealers confirm that to me. They agreed that they were a great deal on an entry level welder also...

That said lot's of people run them and have no problems with them at all... Just something to be aware of.

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I would not weld a rollbar with it. The flux is messy stick to the gas. I would opt for a good used 220 Miller if you have an outlet and can find one in your budget.

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
from what I have experienced anything from there is pretty low quality. But I have no knowlege of that welder. I would stick to Miller, Lincoln and Hobart.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I completely blew my budget out buying my Miller 211, but now I couldn't be happier. I have alot more confidence in my welding knowing I have a good machine. Plus it could quite possibly be the last welder I'll ever have to buy, that goes along way over something that will wear out/ break in a couple of years...

Broncobowsher

Total hack

It can be done, but for a roll bar I would find a friend who does a lot of welding and let them do it. If you are shopping for a first welder, probably don't have much experience (could be wrong). Welding isn't just the machine, it is the operator using it as well.

If you got all the tube fitted, ends beveled,etc. Then tack welded with a 110v welder. Drive around for a day, make sure that everything is how you like it. then go find a good welder and let them do the handywork. Roll bars are not something you want coming apart the first time you use it. The joints can be very highly stressed when used. Bumpers are a good beginer project.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Also, go to your local community college and sign up for a welding class. It'll be the best $300 you spend. Those classes are usually taught by professional welders who are just moonlighting as teachers, so you'll be able to pick up lots of real world tricks to help you along. You can usually sneak a few personal projects in as well.

OP
OP
B

Brady

Loc.
Raleigh, N.C.
I decided to go with the Lincoln Weld-Pak 175. Picked it up friday and used it all weekend. Im very happy with the machine itself but this is the first wire feed I have owned or used so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I stopped by Northern on saturday for their 10% off sale and picked up a Hobart auto-darkening helmet with a #10 lens. The auto helmet is SO much nicer than my old standard one. Im not sure if the #10 is dark enough or Im just not used to the tiny delay. Thoughts?