• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

advice on first welder purchace

302fix

Keep in mind that I do not have deep pockets.

You will SAVE money, time and effort by buying a welder. I have a Miller 110v with gas and have done cowl, floors, rockers, inner quarter panels and even some minor body mount repairs to the frame.

A tool every Bronco owner should have.

Don't skimp on the saftey equipment. Gloves, Auto dark helmet,welding jacket and a nice welding blanket.

You're looking at about a 1,000 investment.

I had my floors done before I thought I could afford a welder and they did a horrible job and I ended up doing it over.

Plus, It's fun!

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Every welding thread starts with "very little money to work with". I consider a 110v Hobart Handler 140 the minimum welder to buy. If you can't afford new, watch Craigslist for one, or save your coins till you have the money. You won't be sorry, and spend less in the long run. You can get discouraged real fast with a cheap welder. But just my opinion.

BuffDragon

Loc.
CenTex
I was just in that position a few weeks ago.
wound up buying a lincoln 140 from lowe's. does what I need it to do. can hook a bottle up to it later, when I feel better about doing thicker steel.

its funny, once you have a welder, the world looks a little different, since you can suddenly, "make shit" ;D

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
I bought a little 110 Lincoln with a cart, full Co2 and argon bottles, Alum. welding kit, a big spool of 0.030 wire, regular and self darkening hood, and some copper buss terminals for $500 off CL. It works great on sheet metal, and I was able to re-weld a body mount to the frame with no problem and did some playing with some 1/4 plate and it did a really good job on that as well. For my needs I probably wont be upgrading to a 220 machine. The CO2 seems to make a big difference with the splatter over shielded wire, but I think you could get by with out the gas just fine.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I went by our local shop today an ask some questions as I needed a few chunks of scrap for a project. All the ladies there are friend so I said school me girls .. What it cost "in my town''.. They all had a part in the pricing what I needed .. Damn sounds high to me.. 25# spool of wire was 45.00 or a 2# spool was about 8.00 .. Flux coated was higher.. and Argone bottle was 65.00 a year and about 80.00 to fill it up or trade it in. I wouldn't use a bottle a year.
... Then their 180 lincoln was about 895.00 I think I was on the floor choking about this time..
......... But this morning on the almost local radio Trade Fair program AM 1460 and it is on the net also ..From 8:30 until 11:00 A fellow had one for sale I wrote his no. down and though I'd call him later but I forgot today ..
.......I want to say his was 350.00...
...Trade Fair and Craig List sure look like a better Ideal ..
..I used my big unit tonight one some 3/4 welding to a 3/8 plate ..5/32 rods and at 140 amp for about and hour .. I'd like to rub my eyes ... HUM...I hope it not that new big face screen on my new helmet ..I'll know in the morning ... But my wife works with an Eye Dr. so I have a live in nurse .. Wonder if she'll bring me a Beer!!!

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I went by our local shop today an ask some questions as I needed a few chunks of scrap for a project. All the ladies there are friend so I said school me girls .. What it cost "in my town''.. They all had a part in the pricing what I needed .. Damn sounds high to me.. 25# spool of wire was 45.00 or a 2# spool was about 8.00 .. Flux coated was higher.. and Argone bottle was 65.00 a year and about 80.00 to fill it up or trade it in. I wouldn't use a bottle a year.
... Then their 180 lincoln was about 895.00 I think I was on the floor choking about this time..
......... But this morning on the almost local radio Trade Fair program AM 1460 and it is on the net also ..From 8:30 until 11:00 A fellow had one for sale I wrote his no. down and though I'd call him later but I forgot today ..
.......I want to say his was 350.00...
...Trade Fair and Craig List sure look like a better Ideal ..
..I used my big unit tonight one some 3/4 welding to a 3/8 plate ..5/32 rods and at 140 amp for about and hour .. I'd like to rub my eyes ... HUM...I hope it not that new big face screen on my new helmet ..I'll know in the morning ... But my wife works with an Eye Dr. so I have a live in nurse .. Wonder if she'll bring me a Beer!!!

Take 6 and call me in the morning. I hope you have not burned your eyes. Our old eyes don't need any extra damage. I have been lucky not to have ever burned my eyes, even though burning 100s and 100s of pounds of rods in my life. I understand it is not fun though.

JohnT

Loc.
West Virginia
I purchase a Hobart 140 with gas 110 volt , It is great little welder to have around the garage for just about any jobs . The only thing if you plan welding anything thicker than 3/16 you will have to bevel the edges so you get good penatration . I would not buy any from HF . Do your self a favor and buy a name brand welder .

BuffDragon

Loc.
CenTex
Take 6 and call me in the morning. I hope you have not burned your eyes. Our old eyes don't need any extra damage. I have been lucky not to have ever burned my eyes, even though burning 100s and 100s of pounds of rods in my life. I understand it is not fun though.

I burned my eyes once as a young man. "pretty badly" according to the doc too.
I'll NEVER do that again.
doc said "imagine you took a pepper shaker and covered more than half your retina with pepper.....that's how your eye looks"

"how" was the dumb part. I was helping drag drill stem around to make a whole bunch of deer feeder tripods one day. I knew better than to look at the arc, but apparently you dont have to look directly at it to burn your eyes.

totally sucks. next time just hit me with a bat a couple times.

"they" say putting a thick slice of raw potato over each eye will take the burn out. I dont want to ever be in the position (again) to test that theory...

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Everyone I have heard of that got their eyes burned was not the welder but the guy holding or just around. I guess the guy holding the rod is more careful and he knows when he is going to strike the arc.

JROwens

Loc.
Raymond, MS
I was just in that position a few weeks ago.
wound up buying a lincoln 140 from lowe's. does what I need it to do. can hook a bottle up to it later, when I feel better about doing thicker steel.

its funny, once you have a welder, the world looks a little different, since you can suddenly, "make shit" ;D

I bought the same machine from Home Depot (around $550 I think). It is a great starter machine. I would recommend getting something along that line and then going to Harbor Freight to get a cart, auto helmet and other small tools that don't affect the quality of your work. The comment about looking at the world different is completely true. Get some scrap steel or square tubing and try making something. You will quickly learn what you are doing and also figure out that you can all of a sudden "make shit". It's a great feeling.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Hate to say it late in the game but avoid the home depot and lowes Lincoln welders. They are OK welders but Lincoln won't warranty them period. If you have a problem you have to deal with either lowes or home depot for warranty or parts. They are a 'dumbed' down version of the real Lincoln welder and are spec'd so low for the retailer that the manufacturer won't touch them for problems.... Don't believe me go to a Lincoln dealer and tell them your having problems with your home depot special...

As far as starter welders go, I ended up with a Miller 211 it uses both 110V and 220V and with the spool gun can weld aluminum. It's about $150 more than an Miller 180 and does more... I've welded body panels up to 1/4" on 110V and it works flawlessly.

Point is if you buy a good welder you probably will never have to buy another again. If you buy a cheap POS, you'll be replacing it sooner than later (unless you never use it). Some times it's 'cheaper' to spend more now than to get a good deal the first time...

OP
OP
Ned

Ned

Loc.
Hollywood Beach
Thanks guys for all the advice, I put the word out locally I am looking for a MIG so lets see what happens, I think I will look on CL also. I will keep you posted as to what
I get.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I agree about the Lowes Lincoln welder. I talked to the guys at the welding supply house and they said Lincoln would not even sell the cheap ones they sell at Lowes to them.

BuffDragon

Loc.
CenTex
Hate to say it late in the game but avoid the home depot and lowes Lincoln welders. They are OK welders but Lincoln won't warranty them period. If you have a problem you have to deal with either lowes or home depot for warranty or parts. They are a 'dumbed' down version of the real Lincoln welder and are spec'd so low for the retailer that the manufacturer won't touch them for problems.... Don't believe me go to a Lincoln dealer and tell them your having problems with your home depot special...

I agree about the Lowes Lincoln welder. I talked to the guys at the welding supply house and they said Lincoln would not even sell the cheap ones they sell at Lowes to them.

this is completely inaccurate.

I just called lincoln.

"sir, I'm looking at purchasing one of your welders from the local lowe's store and wanted to make sure it still carried the full lincoln warranty/etc same as if I purchased somewhere else"
"that is absolutely correct sir, 3 year, wall to wall warranty"
"well, there's some misinformation on the internet saying that a lincoln purchased from home depot or lowes was NOT the same machine that might come direct from you or an authorized dealer"
"that not correct, its just a matter of labeling. getting a foot in the door for retail sales. HD only means Home Depot, but is the exact same machine as one that comes from somewhere else"
"and the weld pak is from lowe's, and they're all the exact same machine on the inside, regardless of where it comes from"
"yes sir, and often times, its a way for a customer to get one of our machines a little bit cheaper"
"due to volume of these stores"
"that's right"
"ok, thank you for your help!"

like so many other things, just because the "guys at the shop said it", doesnt make it so.
whether that be the latest chrome thingy from the speed shop guaranteed to give ya 15 horsepower, whatever and etc.

no offense intended to the people saying "I heard blah blah", but the answer above is straight from the horse's mouth.

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
If lincoln gave you the word of a 3 year wall to wall warranty then that is the way to go IMO. The Lincoln MIG I have runs 110 and will weld up to 1/4 inch plate easy which is plenty to do almost all of the welding on a Bronco.

One word of advice. I have been a certified welder welding for over 25 years and if there is one thing you need to make sure of is the choice of wire and gas when using your welder. Don't go cheap on this and make sure you match it to your application. Otherwise you will have nothing but headaches.